AR Models

Hi guys! While I was doing some questions of the Time-Series Analysis part, I came up with a question which I can’t fully justify de answer. The question says:

Which of the following AR models is most appropiate for a time series with annual seasonality using quarterly observations?

a) b1xt-1 + b2xt-12​ + et​​​​​​

b) b0 + b1xt-1 + b2xt-4​ + et​​​​​

b) b0 + b1xt-4 + b2xt-12​ + et​​​​​

The correct answer is B. Can you explain why is it please?

Thanks

I think the answer is C, rather than B. Answer B incorporates monthly and quarterly trends, assuming each step in time is 1 month. Answer C is correct then because it incorporates quarterly and yearly trends if each step in time is 1 month (meaning t-12 is the prior year, 12 months ago).

Where did this question and answer come from? I can say the question isn’t worded as cleanly as I would expect, either, so I may be misinterpreting some of their unclear word choice.

As previous person said, I may also misinterpreted, but my reading is that:

• a) should be erased because b0 should be included

• b) is right because “using quarterly observations” means each step in time is 3 month(quarterly)

• c) is not right (but if questions said “using monthly observations” then this would be the correct answer.)

The question wording is clear enough, it just tricked your mind.

We must pay attention to two things:

1. How the data is built: daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual, etc

2. What is the suspected seasonality. The question ask for annual seasonality. There are tests for error autocorrelation that can show up to 36-lag analysis, so if we see an error pike in the chart, we can find the lag level of the suspected seasonality.

An AR model for a time series is commonly built in the simplest form :

X(t) = a + bX(t-1) + e

If this form does not work well, then we can make adjustments. The most common adjustment is seasonality. In this case, an annual seasonality in a quarterly data would be built as:

X(t) = a + bX(t-1) + cX(t-4) + e

because each quarter has 3 months and 4 x 3 = 12 (annual).

Correct answer is B.

Hope this helps

Yup.

Not that fast, the correct model would be

X(t) = a + bX(t-1) + cbX(t-12) + e

Good catch, as I read again my own reply, I noticed I said [assuming each step is 1 month] but the question states each step is [3 months/quarterly].

Agree then B is appropriate!

:+1: