Quant...why don’t you explain this to me like I’m five.

Anybody else feeling a bit…overwhelmed with quant? I scored near the 99% percentile on ethics in the level 1 exam so I breezed right through level 2 ethics into what feels like a swamp of information in quant, and I’ve been stuck on the corr/regression section for almost 2 weeks…from what I’ve seen it only gets worse, so what timeline are you guys working with in quant? My pace is obviously too slow but I don’t want to move on without a firm grasp on the fundamentals of regression. I know some topics take longer and some are quicker but…wth is up with quant??

If regression and multiple regression I somehow made through, time series just killed me. Left it for the end and skipped to other subject.

I took a tremendous amount of time understanding Quant. I started real earlier on this subject and was able to go through more than once fortunately. If I was rushed, there’s no way I would be able to understand and grasp. I will say once you read and then re-read it becomes easier.

You think it’s worth it to just move on for now and come back in a few weeks?

use khan academy to help or an applied regression text by someone with a phd in statistics or biostatistics.

penn state university also has online MS in applied stats with a lot of free course materials so you may be able to find some help through them

quant is 5-10% if I’m not mistaken. I think the better startegy is to not spend much time on hardest topics and then come back to them when other readings are done.

Thanks, guys. I put my head down and rammed through. Just got to the time-series section…going in…

Dude, all strawberries in time-series (sarcasm)

Think I’m getting it. Correct me if I’m wrong but:

estrawberries1 - 1 = Pass level 2 the first time

Nailed it!

I sat the L2 exam before and was absolutely killed by Quant. This time around, I have found that Mark Meldrum’s videos on the topic have really helped to simplify the reading.

Feeling much more comfortable and able to get 85%+ on the EOC questions now. Good enough for me to keep moving on with the rest of the volumes.

Thanks for the tip. I’m using Wiley but to be honest, I like the CFAI material for quant better.

I skipped Quant entirely. The four questions per test wasn’t worth it.

That’s a bold move stl.

I think with correlation, regression, and multiple regression I’ll be fine. It can’t be that all questions from quant will be related to time series.

If you’re an adult and don’t have a basic understanding of the intro to stats in the curriculum you may want to label yourself as numerically illiterate.

Statistical thinking will one day be as necessary for efficient citizenship as the ability to read and write. ” H.G. Wells

The “one day” is ten years ago.

ahhh…tickersu…Life is gonna teach you some tough lessons with that kind of a mentality. Being unnecessarily offensive and demeaning others is just bad manners and leads to severe lack of friendship. Seeing as how that’s none of my concern with you, I leave you with this: Good luck on your journey through dickheadedness!! :wink:

All the best,

-NR

Ha! So says the guy who says someone on the internet is on a journey of “dickheadedness”! Fear not, I don’t base my pride or my self esteem on the musings of people on the internet. I am fortunately through enough of life to know how I’m faring :wink:; people appreciate honesty and realistic perspective even if they have to acknowledge something uncomfortable about a situation. I’m not immune to that, either.

If you want to look around at today’s world and act like a basic understanding of mathematics and statistics isn’t necessary, that’s fine with me, but you’re in denial (especially, I’m sure, many people have the intense infatuation with the mythical “big data” and “machine learning” which are really some odd derivative (or exact form) of statistics). Almost everything nowadays is accompanied by a bombardment of data which are in need of interpretation. It’s okay if a subject is hard for someone, but let’s not pretend it isn’t important just because some people find it difficult. If we did that we’d be stuck in the 16th century (although, we already see this “everyone gets a medal” mentality in education these days). You can also see that I encouraged persistence for mastery of the material if you read earlier posts…

If your goal is to learn while getting the charter, this shouldn’t be too offensive to say “keep trying on the hard material because it’s important and you only build resilience by facing challenges.” If you just want to pass for the sake of passing, I can see why this offends you.

And please, avoid a character attack and present a real argument (it’s okay not to like me, but a logical fallacy to think that my argument is bad because you think I’m an ass).

If someone is unfamiliar with basic mathematics and statistics (especially someone in “high finance”) how can you claim they’re numerically literate?

(I’ll also clarify my post was more geared toward those saying you should just skip it… you made it clear you’re trying…)