"Retirement Benefits Paid" - meaning? + long term rate of return does not impact benefit obligation?

The terminology in the pensions section is confusing me. I think I understand the difference between periodic pension cost (income statement expenses) and total periodic pension cost (income statement + OCI), but what does “retirement benefits paid” mean (question #8 in EOC)? Is that the same as total periodic pension cost?

Unrelated to the above, I am confused by #14. / “if xx had used the same expected long-term rate of return on plan assets assumptions in 2009 as it used in 2007, its year end pension obligation would most likely have been?” / the answer is that long-term rate of return is not a component in calculating the pension obligation. But why not? I thought that under GAAP, expected return is used in calculating interest income?

Pension obligation measures PV of what a company is required to pay at the retirement of an employee and will depend on expected last drawn salary, interest rates etc and is not impacted by return (actual or xpected) on plan assets. Returns will impact pension liability which is calc as pension assets minus pension obligation.