CDS - Recovery Rate/Payout Rate

Hello, I am confused by an example given in Book 39 (CDS - the last Fixed Income Book). They say if a CDS defaults, the buyer will receive 1-recovery rate * notional amt. Infact, they give 1 or 2 examples after this is explained. But in Section 3.1, they give another example:

consider a simple example of a two-year, 5%, $1,000 loan, with one interest payment of $50 due in one year and a final interest and principal payment of $1,050 due in two years…. We will assume a 40% recovery rate, which is a common assumption for senior unsecured debt. Thus, if default occurs on the $50 payment, the bondholder will receive $20 ($50 × 40%), and if default occurs on the final $1,050 payment, the bondholder receives $420 ($1,050 × 40%)

Shouldn’t it be 1 - 40% * $50 = $30 and 1 - 40% * $1050 = $630

Confused.

Master the Level II curriculum by creating custom quizzes in the SchweserPro™ QBank. Question difficulty automatically adapts to your ability level on a given topic, measuring your knowledge and keeping you motivated. Included in every Schweser Study Package.

Intuitively, recovery rate is the percentage at which you will retain your money in the event that a default occurred. Therefore, the example makes sense to me. Your definition, however, is what confuses me. I would assume that 1-recovery rate * notional amount is loss given default. I am unsure as to where you obtain that definition, either; chapter 39 is all about forward contracts.