Level II Retake - Any suggestions on what to do different this time?

Funny how many people tell you to keep banging your head on the wall with the same approach. Ditch the 3rd party companies as a primary (please, ditch Kra plan Sc h weser because they’re one of the most pathetic prep products known to man). Pick up the real curriculum, read it, go back and summarize it, answer EOCs without help or answer keys. Check your answers and take notes on why they’re correct or incorrect. Prep providers are summaries of the curriculum, so you’re relying on them to to summarize correctly and explain it well– pretty risky if you ask me. I don’t know of anyone studying the CFAI curriculum and failing the exam given that they studied thoroughly and didn’t run out of time.

The best just got better. Schweser's upgraded content and redesigned study platform are exactly what you need to pass the Level III exam. Save 10% when you preorder a Premium Package for a limited time.

tickersu wrote:

Funny how many people tell you to keep banging your head on the wall with the same approach. Ditch the 3rd party companies as a primary (please, ditch Kra plan Sc h weser because they’re one of the most pathetic prep products known to man). Pick up the real curriculum, read it, go back and summarize it, answer EOCs without help or answer keys. Check your answers and take notes on why they’re correct or incorrect. Prep providers are summaries of the curriculum, so you’re relying on them to to summarize correctly and explain it well– pretty risky if you ask me. I don’t know of anyone studying the CFAI curriculum and failing the exam given that they studied thoroughly and didn’t run out of time.

+1 ! 

My primary suggestion would be to score more points this time.

(Yes: I’m in one of those moods.)

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

Do more mocks.. mocks mocks mocks.. Here’s what I did:

https://www.analystforum.com/comment/91828720#comment-91828720

S2000magician wrote:

My primary suggestion would be to score more points this time.

(Yes: I’m in one of those moods.)

I wish someone had given me this advice early in my CFA studies! 

Chumkayz wrote:

Just focus on schweser and do all questions in it many times. Don’t confuse yourself by looking at too much material. For derivatives n portfolio management do  curriculum CFAI book questions. Rest it is all schweser read it n practice 10 times. 

Ok now here’s an advice I’d follow with caution. Ask pretty much anyone on this forum and they’ll say that Schweser is a bottom feeder. The fact that they need to advertise so much tells everything you need to know about them. The best providers don’t need to advertise, candidates flock to them by word of mouth. 

If you're the first out the door, that's not called panicking

See my sequence below that resulted in approximately 97th percentile when counting the pixels….

I started in the last week of January and logged 450 hours (way too many in hindsight).

The takeaway is that EOC, Blueboxes and Mocks were very helpful for the exam. 

1. Watch MM 1.5 speed

2 Watch MM EOC 1.5 speed

3 Review Bluebox

4 CFAI Qbank (did very poor the first time)

5 Review white text CFAI for problem areas

6 Review Blue box and MM EOC 1.5 speed [2nd time]

7 CFAI Qbank [2nd time]

8 MM Mocks x 4

9 CFAI Mocks x 2

Shucks!!!! you were so closecrying

Following is a post I wrote a few years back, in response to a question asked by a CFA Level 2 candidate who had failed the exam on his second attempt and was thinking of quitting the program and was thinking of pursuing a different career altogether. To help him get his act together I decided to give him some “tough love” with the hope ………. he would listen.

To read the post on LinkedIn click the link below:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6574561223558352896

Hope it helps those who need it most at this difficult time.

You need to focus of equity, it has a significant weight and had you done better I recon you’d have hit the MPS. 

Be conscious of the weight of each section would be my best advice, sounds like you put in a good effort this year. 

Best of luck for the next one, third time lucky as they say!

Pushing will get a person almost anywhere, except through a door marked “pull”

Tez4715 wrote:

You need to focus of equity, it has a significant weight and had you done better I recon you’d have hit the MPS. 

Be conscious of the weight of each section would be my best advice, sounds like you put in a good effort this year. 

Best of luck for the next one, third time lucky as they say!

First time around I did poorly on equity because I thought “oh this is just basic stuff, price to sales is just two simple numbers!” and was blindsided by all the formulas on test day.

So this time around I made that a point of emphasis. Felt like I knew most stuff going in but obviously not, which really surprised me. There were two questions looking back I know I missed, and it was a simplier formula that just got lost in all the other formulas I memorized. Otherwise, I knew in the AM session several of them cold or so I thought.

Thanks for the thoughts, I feel more prepared this time around and already know the formulas for the two I know I missed.