Sign up  |  Log in

Equity Method and Dividends

Can someone tell me why we subtract the dividends received when we calculate the investment value in an affiliate?

Master the Level II curriculum by creating custom quizzes in the SchweserPro™ QBank. Question difficulty automatically adapts to your ability level on a given topic, measuring your knowledge and keeping you motivated. Included in every Schweser Study Package.

Dividends received are considered a return of investment, not a return on investment.

Why?  Because that’s what accountants decided, that’s why.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

i think i got it.

I will use the Retained Earnings to calculate the investment value

Onda wrote:
i think i got it.

I will use the Retained Earnings to calculate the investment value

How, exactly?

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

lets say A owns 20% of B . The purchase price of B was $100. B made NI of $40 and paid $10 in dividends (RE=$30)

Investment value in A’s financial statement is $100$ +0.2*$30=$106

Onda wrote:
lets say A owns 20% of B . The purchase price of B was $100. B made NI of $40 and paid $10 in dividends (RE=$30)

Investment value in A’s financial statement is $100$ +0.2*$30=$106

$30 is not (necessarily) B’s Retained Earnings.

It might be B’s change in RE.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

yes, you are right because the actual retained earnings include all the previous earnings. 

Onda wrote:
yes, you are right because the actual retained earnings include all the previous earnings.

Exactly!

That’s why I was puzzled when you said you’d use RE.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

gotcha. Thank you!