CFA Designation on CV

Are we allowed to say that we have passed level 1 of the cfa exam in the first try on our CV? I know we are allowed to “State” this fact without any misrepresentation. So I am confused if we can also only state this fact on our CV? Thanks

Not sure how much value it going to add by putting passed in first attempt.

people would laugh if you put “on the first attempt” on your resume that is almost as bad as “level 1 candidate” I was watching a college football game in a company suite a couple weeks ago - the head of my department said that she had recently seen a resume with “level 1 candidate” on it … she thought it was ridiculous because in her words “everyone is a cfa level 1 candidate”.

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > people would laugh if you put “on the first > attempt” on your resume > that is almost as bad as “level 1 candidate” > I was watching a college football game in a > company suite a couple weeks ago - the head of my > department said that she had recently seen a > resume with “level 1 candidate” on it … she > thought it was ridiculous because in her words > “everyone is a cfa level 1 candidate”. she does not know what she’s talking about. First you’d have to sign up for the exam and it also shows that you are not wasting your time going home and watching soap operas but actually learning. In any case I’d advise not to put “at first time” on the CV cause it sounds too cocky…plus who knows you might even be offending someone.

> Are we allowed to say that we have passed level 1 of the cfa exam in the first try on our CV? IIRC you’ll eventually see an ethics problem where this is explicitly disallowed. In general they discourage any attempt to demonstrate that you passed better than other charter holders, such as by including the speed with which you passed exams, your scores, etc. I think the Institute explicitly allows you to indicate that e.g. you’re a L2 candidate (if indeed you are). Check the Code to be sure however. I think it’s available for free download from their web site.

I dont see any place where it says you CANT put it on the resume. You are allowed to state facts but you cant misrepresent it. Hence my question.

It’s certainly against the intent if not letter of the institute’s published guidance. And as Danteshek points out, it’s dorky.

In the ethics section, it states you are allowed to put “I passed all three levels on the first try” although I’ve never seen a resume that actually states that. To put that you passed Level I on one try isn’t unethical it just makes you look like you are trying too hard and that you are way too proud of yourself for passing the first and easiest of three levels.

i think you should put it. it gets your brownie points for sure. it’s really hard to pass on the first try, you know.

Wether u put it or not is totally upto u…but I am sure CFAI shoudnt have any problems with that, basically u arent misrepresenting anything. But again second with so many opnions here, not sure how much value it wil add to ur CV.

Stating that you passed any Level in the first attempt is outright against the Code. Read the Code section again. Any attempt to indicate that you got through the program in a manner that was “better” than others is not allowed. By stating that you passed in the first attempt, you’re indicating (albeit indirectly) that you’re somehow better or smarter than those that didn’t make it in the first attempt. Read the last section on the Code about CFA Candidate representation.

I believe it clearly tells us that we can state facts… whether we pass all the 3 levels in the first attempt or 2 levels on the first attempt…that is still a fact…but if i were to misrepresent by saying just because i passed all 3 levels in the first attempt, i am better than others…thats a clear violation. I dont know how one can show that by stating facts, it proves that he/she is misreprensenting anything indirectly. p.s. i am not trying to defend myself, but just playing devil’s advocate here…glad to hear others’ opinions…

I passed both L1 and L2 but have no intention to mention CFA in my CV yet. It will appear in my CV if I pass L3. Again, this is purely my own personal perference. With regard to possible violation of the Code, it is not against the code to state the FACT that you passed the levels in the first or fifth attempt. I remember this appeared in one of the ethics questions in the past.

Sparty is correct regarding descriptions of passing - you’re allowed to say that you passed all three levels on the first try, but you’re not allowed to claim any “superior” knowledge or make any representation that your charter is more valuable than someone who took ten years. If you’re dead set on showing that you did all the levels in as short a time as possible, just include dates on your CV after what level you are; i.e.: CFA Program 2005-2007, Achieved Chartered Financial Analyst Designation

Put it on there. You’re allowed to do it.

You can state facts, but not attribute misleading qualities to those facts. Hence “I passed all three levels on my first attempt” is within the Code and Standards, but “i passed all three levels on my first attempt and therefore have a higher chance of beating the FTSE100 over five years” is not.

Don’t add the ‘first attempt’ on your CV. That’s sad. Do add the passing of Level 1, firms like to hire juniors with CFA I or II on their CV because they are cheaper than charterholders while in theory they should be able to get there in the near future.

somewhat on a similar topic. If someone claims to have passed a certain level of the CFA and states that on their CV /Resume. Is there any way a potential employer can verify the claim? reason being, we see CV’s with the such claims and usually dont pursue further unless they are claiming to be a charterholder. but recently so many people claim to be on a certain level that it might help look into the veracity of such claims. cheers

Why not just ask for a printout of that person’s recent score from the CFAI website? It should indicate the latest level of exam taken and whether he or she passed.

I can fake that without a problem. Only true proof would be the person’s acceptance letter for the next level. UzumakiRoll Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why not just ask for a printout of that person’s > recent score from the CFAI website? It should > indicate the latest level of exam taken and > whether he or she passed.