Preparation for L2 while studying for L1 (any suggestion welcome)

Greetings! I am still a L1 CFA candidate, but I really like to know which areas of L1 and L2 curricula have the highest correlation so I could take a long shot in preparing for L2 while studying for L1. Also what would you suggest as a strategy for preparing for L1 while taking into consideration 2008 L2? I do apologize if this question has been answered already (please advise on the relevant thread). Thank you in advance for every suggestion. Good luck studying.

There’s a saying about chickens that applies here, I think…

if you can study for both then you are not studying enough for L1

Thank you, Turkish… I will consider that in my study plan…

…but if you had some extra time while preparing for L1 and you wanted to devote it for studying for L2 (hypothetically) what would you do?

There is no extra time while studying for L1, there is just more L1 study time.

Almost all topics are covered in L2 which you would be studying for Level 1, so you’d be better off studying Level 1 thoroughly and that shall help you later for L2. couldn’t understnad the logic of studying L2 before passing L1??!!

let me rephraze: how to study for L1 in the way so to reduce studying time for L2?

“let me rephraze: how to study for L1 in the way so to reduce studying time for L2?” In all honesty, studying more and more for L1 will be your best bet. If you nail the concepts in L1 you won’t have to go back and refresh on them in your L2 prep. There’s a lot of foundation in L1 that you’ll need in L2 so studying it even more intensely will not only help you in L1, but L2 as well.

If I had to give an edge to any one topic, I’d say FSA. What the others are saying is correct though.

Thank you for the great suggestions. I got that the best way to go is to study basics as thorough as possible so to pass and to free up time later for the L2 advanced topics.

you cant over study for level 1. Obviously you would want to study the basics as thorough as possible…sheesh. What were you going to do, study both level 1 and level 2 schweser notes??? “I got that the best way to go is to study basics as thorough as possible so to pass and to free up time later for the L2 advanced topics.” no kidding. Any normal person studying for level 1 would follow the same procedure.

i don’t recall much interchange between L1 and L2 FSA… I’d say focus on Quant/PM and perhaps Fixed Income.

ive read the LI and LII cirriculum simulatenously and finished both in 6 months, no kidding, most correlation : ethics handsdown equity: is almost the same if you include the optional parts in LI equity derivatives: same if you include the optional parts in LI try to do the LI first then LII second, but if you cant do as such bc of time or watever and if you are good at mentally keeping your concepts organized, then do both at once, it can be done

Are you sitting for CFA because you want a credential, or because you think the knowledge you’ll acquire will be useful on the job?

Siberian_Golfer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Greetings! > > I am still a L1 CFA candidate, but I really like > to know which areas of L1 and L2 curricula have > the highest correlation so I could take a long > shot in preparing for L2 while studying for L1. > Also what would you suggest as a strategy for > preparing for L1 while taking into consideration > 2008 L2? > My advice… get top marks in every section on Level I. If you do that, then please post back here and let us know that even answering this question wasn’t a waste of time.

if you pass L1 you should try L2 in June, i say at least 25% of the materials are highly similar.

DarienHacker: Credential is first, and knowledge is second. Though knowledge I am getting is so beyond and above my undergrad finance course (minor in Econ definitely helps). plyon: I definitely will let you know how I did. Hopefully your suggestions are not going to be a waste of time. viktorv: it is nice to know that it could be done Thank you all for letting me realize that I should focus solely on passing L1, cuz it is the best (and only way) to sit and succeed in L2.