Life got in the way

I recently found out that my mother-in-law has liver cancer. She will be in need of care, so my wife and I will be selling our house to move in with her. Although there is still plenty of time until the June exam, I highly doubt I will be sitting. I will now have to get our house ready for sale, go through the process of moving, prepare for a new baby soon…not to mention the ups and downs of dealing with this disease. The exam also seems pretty unimportant to me right now. I may or may not be around on the forum, but I would like to wish everybody good luck. I have learned much from all of you. Thanks especially to all the regulars who helped me through level I. We are praying that she recovers and maybe one day I could regain the intensity that I once had to obtain the charter.

OK, I wish you the best of luck and will hope for the best; I also hope will see you here again in time for the June 2009 exam. Don’t give up your dream.

Hey mwvt9, Wishing you Best of Luck with every thing and all the joys of a new baby. It is very nice of you and your wife to move in with your mom-in-law to help her through this. It is something u guys will be proud of for a very long time compared to a year’s delay in the charter. Wishing you the very best.

Hey, similar experience here while I was doing my bcomm. You’ve got a good handle on your priorities, deal with what’s important and you’ll bounce back! Best of luck to you.

Best Wishes and I hope everything works out. More important things than CFA.

mwvt9 You have been a great source of information and learning on this forum, and I am extremely saddened to hear of the circumstances under which you have to cut short your dream of getting the charter as early as is possible. I pray that you get all the required strength to deal with the many changes in your life, and hope you are able to attack this exam in better spirits, come 2009. CP

mwvt9, I’m sorry to hear that you might not be able to sit for the exam. I hope all turns out well for you and your wife. Good luck with the moving and the new kid. Do drop in to let us know about the good news!! Keep your spirits high!

Life throws you curve balls sometimes. Always keep things in perspective and realize family is more important than this damn underappreciated designation. Best of luck with everything.

All the best mwvt9. I am sure things will work out for the better… Best, Ruckmani

deal with priorities first, obviously. but i would suggest trying to study , even if it is a couple of hours a week and then sit for the exam. personally i would probably feel an energy crash if i stopped studying, especially a few weeks down the road, you want to avoid that. last year my Grandfather (really a second father and my life’s motivation and inspiration ) got a stroke, i spent a week in the hospital with him and another week after arranging the funeral. it was like an experience from hell. at the same time I applied to 2 MBA progs, needed to write essays/gmat and do an interview, I was also studying for five 4rth year undergrad exams (all quant and tuff as balls). On top of all of this i was heading a finance club as well as writing the CFA. needless to say things got hectic. But I took care of priorities first, as soon as I had time - two weeks later, I started getting slowly back to studying and it paid off -I passed. sending some words of advice from someone who s been there: take it easy for now, do what matters most first and don’t give up , start up slowly down the road!

mwvt9, you got your priorities right, life and family prones over the three letters. I wish and your family all the courage required to go through this tough times and hope that all turns out for the best. Best of luck,

mwvt9, good luck at home, those things put things like exam in perspective. I wish you all the best with making the arrangements, I’m happy to hear about the baby and hope you can be the best support possible for your wife and mother-in-law. It’s tough but you’re definitely doing the right thing. Forget about CFA for a while and once your home situation is back to ‘normal’ you can hit this thing harder than ever. Good luck.

mwvt9, thanks for your contribution to this forum. I respect your choice. Peace be with you during this difficult time!

mwvt9, so sorry to hear this news. you have your priorities right- family is first. always. if you want to chat offline at all about any of it, I lost my younger brother a few years ago to colon cancer (did move to his liver)… know firsthand maybe some of the stuff you’re going to have to go through and deal with. it’s tough, really tough, but you’ll make it through. send me an email address if you want and I’ll drop you a line. the CFA will come when it’s time. you’ve been a great help with the studies and i’m sure we’ll be on this forum again together- maybe same level in '08-'09 if I don’t get my act together soon! my thoughts will stay with your family. be strong.

good luck mwvt. i know you’ll be back.

Others have said it above better than I could… While I don’t know you personally, from what I have seen you are the rare kind of man that has earned respect. true character cannot be defined by a charter. Take care of your family and we will be wishing you all the best and waiting to hear from you. Your contributions, insight, humor and perspective will be missed by many. Of course, I would wager a case of iron city that you could pass this test this weekend.

good luck man. I am sure your mother-in-law will be better and will overcome this disease!

What to say that hasn’t been said… I wish you all the best. You will be living life intensely for awhile.

mwvt9, I am touched by the effort that you and your wife are putting into to take care of your Mother in law. I hope she can go through this, and you will be soon back to level II.

Mwvt9, can’t add anything to what’s already been said, but best of luck in everything, and I can’t wait to get you back (especially for the quant stuff)… :)…all the best to your wife, mother-in-law, and little mwvt9 Jr…