Quant Questions...

The quant questions in the CFA text take forever to complete. Do any of you guys actually go through all of these questions? I’m sure its worth the time but it just takes so long, I feel like maybe I should be reading ahead instead since I’m already a bit behind.

I read through all of them… made for a crappy weekend… but it did help. I followed up with Schweser after going through the CFAI stuff.

You didn’t enjoy them? Why not?

As important as the quant is, I’d have to say that if I’m going to miss the super bowl to study level II curriculum, I’d prefer it to be something more exciting like fixed income / derivatives.

Hey Joey - I just don’t get regression at all. I mean, I can work through it, but I really don’t feel like I grasp the concept and I am just going through some kind of psuedo-excercise. Its like I am just memorizing stuff and I know that isn’t going to help come exam day. Maybe its just me and I could accept that, but is there anything you can point me to away from the CFA/Schweser materials that will kind of help solidify the underlying concept? I think if I could just get a handle on the basic theory or something, for lack of a better term right now, tha a lightbulb will go off for me. Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/Quantitative-Investment-Analysis-Workbook-Institute/dp/047006918X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202274794&sr=8-1 Maybe this will help. It has a wide array of problems covering all the Quant problems in Level 1 and 2, based exactly on the CFA readings. Also, most college Stats books cover regression, you can probably find some older texts at your local library.

Oops it said there was an error in the last post so I just reposted it. Sorry if there was any confusion. I like that book because the answers were very in-depth and helped me a lot with getting faster at the problems, they take you through the steps for every problem.

thanks

Budfox, if you are keen I can send you an undergraduate level textbook on econometrics. If you want a lighter reading I can send you the pdf notes that I downloaded when I took econometrics. I do find that these undergrad books on stats and econometrics very useful

A book that has been posted here before that people seem to like is called something like “A cartoon guide to statistics” that sounds stupid but it really helps people.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A book that has been posted here before that > people seem to like is called something like “A > cartoon guide to statistics” that sounds stupid > but it really helps people. LOL. When I read that, it made me feel stupid, like I need something with “perty pictures to understand me some statistics”. I really appreciate your help. I’ll check that book out.

HydrogenRainbow Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Budfox, if you are keen I can send you an > undergraduate level textbook on econometrics. If > you want a lighter reading I can send you the pdf > notes that I downloaded when I took econometrics. > I do find that these undergrad books on stats and > econometrics very useful Yeah, I’ll take the PDF’s. doubledeuce27 at yahoo dot com This place is the best. I owe you a solid down the road.

budfox427 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just don’t get regression at all. I mean, I can > work through it, but I really don’t feel like I > grasp the concept and I am just going through some > kind of psuedo-excercise. The basic idea of linear regression is very simple - identification of a linear relationship between two variables. We assume that a dependent variable Y can be expressed as b0+b1*X, where X is an independent variable and define b0 and b1 such that the line is closest to Y in some sense (least square). Since the fitting procedure is based on certain assumptions, they should be tested. If assumptions are violated, procedure has to be adjusted.

Bud I’m pretty much in the same situation as you. With Level 1, I got by comfortably. Level 2 Quant, is a bit of a stretch, and I find myself having to memorize a lot of the steps, concepts etc. I’d really appreciate if you could forward a copy of the pdf to me as well. bubbleboy87 at hotmail dot com

yeah, I scored >70 on quant in Level 1. Its just this particular concept that I can’t quite get my arms around. I’ll send it on.

budfox If you do not mind sending me the pdfs as well: cpkrish@yahoo.com Thanks in advance CP

can i also get the pdfs at noyelles@hotmail.com thanks guys

Peeps, I have sent my pdf notes and 2 pdf books on econometrics… Do tell me if I have missed anyone out in the email! :slight_smile:

Can you send a copy to fountainhead777@hotmail.com ? Thanks!!!

HydrogenRainbow Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Peeps, I have sent my pdf notes and 2 pdf books on > econometrics… Do tell me if I have missed anyone > out in the email! :slight_smile: Thanks a million