Occupation

I hate surveys, but I am curious what jobs level 2 candidates have. Equity analyst here

Not to be a prick…but I find it hard to believe a L2 candidate is an analyst. Short story: Before my current position…my business card read “Research Analyst” This was my first gig out of college. It was a small RIA and I was the first person to be hired in the research dept. Looking back on it…its pretty funny. The only reason they gave me that title is so they could say that they have an analyst on staff. Fast fwd-In my current firm…by the time you have made analyst…you’ve already had the charter under your belt for a few years. My point it…If you are actually an analyst you would either a) already have your charter or b) you wouldnt be getting your charter because you wouldnt need it at that point. Again…not to be a prick. But from my experience…the term analyst is used far too loosely.

understandable. I am working for a small firm ($500 AUM). They have 3 PMs, and I just started as an Equity analyst finding companies for them to purchase. I earned my MBA about 9 months ago…took me a few months to find this gig. I am doing full equity reports, but like I said, this is a small firm. All 3 PMs are CFA charterholders. They weren’t when they started. The company I work for tries to hire people without prior experience and train/brainwash them to their fundamental style.

jbisback Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- […] But from my > experience…the term analyst is used far too > loosely. I dont think anyone will ever argue that, jb. It’s about the job, not so much about the title, so whats the point of this again?

I was curious where most lvl 2 candidates are in their careers. I am obviously just starting out. Do most level 2 candidates already have a job in the investment profession? Or are they still trying to pass the CFA tests to get a job?

Does photo-copying analyst count? just kidding… I work as an Analyst at a FoHF. Although my true desire is to work as an Analyst at a value-oriented buy-side shop. That’s ok. I am patient. I am only 24. I’ve got my plan and I am sticking to it.

jbisback Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not to be a prick…but I find it hard to believe > a L2 candidate is an analyst. > And what exactly would you think of a L2 candidate who is the PM of $US 25 billion in fixed income money markets and mutual funds?

I work as a software engineer at an online computer game company. Pretty much absolutely nothing to do with finance. Decided I’m more interested in finance so I’m working on my credentials. Will eventually get an MBA.

ER Associate (start in June)

Performance Analyst at a regional firm in Milwaukee

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Performance Analyst at a regional firm in > Milwaukee What does this job entail? Performance analysis of funds, etc?

Client Service Associate (for institutional fixed income AM)

business valuation at an accounting firm

lxada269 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > What does this job entail? Performance analysis > of funds, etc? Performance reporting for the firm’s institutional clients. Setting benchmarks, calculating performance, analyzing risk/return, etc.

Jbisback, Understand that there are many professionals out there who decide to pursue the CFA later in their careers. As far as I know, even the likes of Joey didn’t gain his charter until his mid thirties. Eventually (if not already) the CFA will become much like the MBA is now - simply a check mark off the list - just look at the number of college students who passed Level 1. Although, the CFAI doesn’t seem to be bothered too much right now because they’re making much more now then they did in the past (what is what I am led to believe by the growing number of candidates).

Regulator… Yeah, I hate me too. CFA = new career opportunities?

jalmy8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- … > Eventually (if not already) the CFA will become > much like the MBA is now - simply a check mark off > the list - just look at the number of college > students who passed Level 1. … Simply?

I’m just trying to play the part of the devil’s advocate - I’m only 22.

Accountant, Equities dept. Pylon, were you talking about yourself?

Vice President, Equity Derivatives Proprietary Trading For Large US investmant bank