Good news, bad news

Good news! My employer decided yesterday to give me a lot more time to study for the CFA! Bad news… it’s really a lot more time. A lot. Like, too much, really.

I’m sorry. That’s a real loss for your employer.

you got fired? really? i feel for you man. but your a smat person, you will be ok. i have read some of your posts and you know your sh*t. once again sorry

its horrible out there. plough all your efforts into cfa!

I am sorry to hear this plyon. Use this time to crush the CFA (as I know you will) and I bet you end up at a job you will love. It could be a blessing in disguise.

I would have gone with the badnews first…

That sucks dude. Don’t know what to say.

Sorry. I firmly believe you will successfully turn that into good news, good news. Actually, it makes me want to start a money market fund so we can take advantage of the ridiculous talent available. Isn’t there like $3 trillion in money mkt funds right now? what is 0.0020% of 0.005% of $3 trillion?

sorry, plyon. hopefully this bad news will turn into good news because of an unexpected incredible opportunity that comes up.

Although bad, but not really bad at all. Firstly, good timing, you have two good months to prepare exam, if you are not able to find another job instantly. Secondly, in future interview, you can tell the interviewer that you quit the job in order to prepare for the exam. That could be a good excuse to quit.

jogging Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Although bad, but not really bad at all. > Firstly, good timing, you have two good months to > prepare exam, if you are not able to find another > job instantly. > Secondly, in future interview, you can tell the > interviewer that you quit the job in order to > prepare for the exam. That could be a good excuse > to quit. I disagree.

Succinctly put, Pinkman. Nonetheless, we roll with the punches. I work on Wall Street and this is what happens. I’m buying a new house Friday so I’ve got some pretty strong incentives to get my rear-end back to work. I think my wife is more shocked than I am (I was with the company for about 12 years and saw my portfolios grow by $25 billion during that time), but all’s fair in love and business. There’s only one form of revenge worth taking: getting a better bigger job and leaving the old one in the smoke.

Damnnnnnn… $25 Billion. If you are willing to share how did it go down when they told you? “Thanks for growing the business $25 billion but we have to let you go?” Really sorry to hear that. With that type of AUM on your resume, passing L2, you’ll find something that’ll work out better in the end.

Sorry to hear that Plyon and I firmly believe you will land a better / more promising job soon.

Sorry to hear. Things always have a way of working out in the end.

Sorry to hear this Plyon!!! … 12 years, $25billion… sick this world is!!!

Plyon Extremely sorry to hear about this news. I know you will crush the L2 exam come June, but the bad news part sucks. Especially with the economy and the job market being what it is. Hope you find something that matches your obvious potential quickly, so you can recover, emotionally. CP

Thanks, guys. I’ve been pretty lucky to have had that position and run things as long as I did. I had a huge amount of discretion and control and that made it a great job. We didn’t blow ourselves up or anything like that, but from the (non-US) parent company perspective, they didn’t want the liability of a fund that took really ANY risk. My job was to take some risk and add incremental return. If that gig is up, it’s time anyway. Might take a little effort to find the right match, but I’m out there. Send any tips (job search related – I don’t need your spare change, yet) to plyons AT optonline.net.

plyon, truly sorry to hear the bad news. i hope things will turn up for you soon.

Plyon, in what city and area of finance did you work?