IS THIS POSSIBLE AND/OR PROBABLE?

Is this doable in your opinion: I am a repeating L2er, last year I started late and ran out of time, so besides Derivative and FI, I have read through everything last year. This year so far I have read Quant, Econ, FSA, and finishing up Corp Fin. So I have Ethics, Equity, FI, and Driv. Left….I have done 0 question banks…I am planning on studying full time all of May as right now its busy season for me due to tax season….so planning on doing 8hrs/day in may and first of week of June…Do you think its doable….I did come very close last year….matter of 1-2 questions by my calculations. Thoughts / comments?

you know better than us because you took it last year. but i’d say full-time it’s very doable. i was curious what people thought would be needed by candidate with finance university background and full-time commitment to studying … i’d guess it’s less than a month, maybe alot less (and i’d add proviso that you have schweser notes).

hey, is n.van north vancouver???

As an interesting side note, when I took John Harris’s class, he mentioned that most candidates are within 7 points of passing the L2 exam. The distribution does not have many outliers. That is only 2-3 questions from passing, so every point counts.

N.Van, I have to agree wtih westbruin, you’re the one in the best position to know since you’ve taken the test before. I just have to quetion why, if you ran out of time last year which resulted in failure, you let yourself fall into a similar position this year and risk being a threepeater.

^ I just have had a lot family things to take care of as well as extremely busy at work…I work a full time job as well as having my own Accounting/consulting business. I was planning on starting to study quite early but never happened…but have decided to quit my full time job end of April and only do my business and essentially just study from May1st onward…hope that will be enough to pull me through. I am only doing Schewser. Westbruin, Yes n.van = North Vancouver, BC

Now that the Canucks blew the last 10 games and are not eligible for the playoffs, you will have no distractions and therefore you will pass this time. I, an L.A. Kings fan, have been able to focus on things other than the NHL playoffs for about 2 months now. Go for it, bud. I am a firm believer that the last 2 months are the most important anyway. Up to this point is review; the last two months is hammer time.

Of course you can. By my count that’s about 250 hours of studying. Plus you’ve already seen a lot of this stuff once.

If you’re an accountant you’ve most likely got FSA nailed which flows over into Equity Val. and some Bond stuff. You’ve got it. You know what to expect better than any of us. 4 hours a day from here on out and you’ve probably logged more hours than a lot of candidates put in for their entire effot.

Out of curiosity. What sections last year tripped you up most? Port management and T/B? Any suggestions for us trying for l2 the first go around?

wanderingcfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > As an interesting side note, when I took John > Harris’s class, he mentioned that most candidates > are within 7 points of passing the L2 exam. and how the hell would he know that?

lola… Where have you been?? I was beginning to wonder if you were still around…haha

GMofDen, I got over 70% in 5 of 8 areas, got <50% in FI and Deriv, and 50-70 in PM. I did not study FI and Derive due to running out of time, so those were the ones which screwed me over and off course T/B. And Yes FSA is second nature to me…I don’t doubt I will ace the FSA section…my strength are FSA and Equity which are about 50-60% of the exam…but I absolutely can not get my head around Derivatives, and FI I found really tough too…and this year Time Series Analysis that was moved from L3 to L2 gave me night mare so I gave up in hopes of coming back to it…. As far as suggestions go….do not underestimate any one topic…if you get stock on a vintage on the exam do not ponder on it (like I did), move on and come back to it if time permits….really other than that, practice practice practice the formulas, as there is no time to think about them, you have to know them cold….especially if you are a slow reader like me…. You have to know the formulas so you can apply them fairly quick……

Holy crap, you must have missed it by one question. 5 of 8 areas > 70%. Damn NVan. Tough break man. From those scores you obviously have it in you to pass, you’ve got plenty of time. Thanks a lot for the tips… good advice is always appreciated.

chadtap Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > lola… > > Where have you been?? I was beginning to wonder if > you were still around…haha hey chad, i’ve been busy with work and studying but I still try to log in every once in a while. hows your studying going?

N.VanCandidate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is this doable in your opinion: > I am a repeating L2er, last year I started late > and ran out of time, so besides Derivative and FI, > I have read through everything last year. This > year so far I have read Quant, Econ, FSA, and > finishing up Corp Fin. So I have Ethics, Equity, > FI, and Driv. Left….I have done 0 question banks…I > am planning on studying full time all of May as > right now its busy season for me due to tax > season….so planning on doing 8hrs/day in may and > first of week of June…Do you think its doable….I > did come very close last year….matter of 1-2 > questions by my calculations. > > Thoughts / comments? You missed port mgmt in your list of topics, I’m guessing you didn’t cover that yet either. Regardless, I think you can do it (50/50 chances, putting you on par with others who have adequately prepared) and I’m usually pretty pessimistic. I’m only saying you have a decent shot because you have been exposed to the material before. However, you would have to be putting the rubber to the road and not letting up until about 5pm on June 7th.

^ yes have not covered PM yet either…

goes to eleven Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Now that the Canucks blew the last 10 games and > are not eligible for the playoffs, you will have > no distractions and therefore you will pass this > time. I, an L.A. Kings fan, have been able to > focus on things other than the NHL playoffs for > about 2 months now. > > Go for it, bud. I am a firm believer that the > last 2 months are the most important anyway. Up > to this point is review; the last two months is > hammer time. damn…the habs made the playoffs…oh well i’m fucked!