Need to be scoring 80-90% as a minimum on practice exams?!?

Hi all Just had a quick question regarding what kind of marks you should be aiming for in the practice exams. Whilst I know that there is no ‘pass mark’ per se, my understanding for Level 1 was that if you were getting 70-75% in the Schweser practice exams you were going to be ok. In fact for the Dec 2007 exam I thought the practice exams were a fair bit harder than the real thing. Word on the street has been that at the Sydney CFA Society lectures for Level 2, they have been saying that this year’s Level 2 CFA exam will be harder and that we will AT A MINIMUM NEED TO BE SCORING 80-90% to have any chance at passing the real thing of Level 2. I’m just wondering if this is consistent with what other people are hearing? Its not a do or die, but changes the goal post significantly. Thanks

Sounds like crap to me to be honest. There’s so many reasons why they can’t know that for sure as well as all the obvious assumptions that they would have to make that I’m not even going to go into why that is rediculous. I’d just focus on studying and stop worrying about whoever said that’s dumbass scare tactics.

Hermz, Do you know anything about the practice exam on may 18th by the Sydney CFAS? I tried emailing the society asking if I could sit for the practice exam but I have yet to get a response. I am curious if it is only for those doing the classroom course.

I doubt it. And if it’s true there’s a fair number of us who wouldn’t have a hope. Given the 70% of the top mark rule I’d say 75-80 is golden as long as you can perform similarly under exam conditions.

Most AF participants won’t pull of 80-90% by test day. If most AFers fail then the pass rate on the overall exam will be about 4%. No way.

i had been consistently getting about 65% on each practice exam for all 3 levels… still passed each Level first time. The point is that you learn from the mistakes that you make in the practice exams so that on exam day, you should be scoring higher.

Definitely depends on the difficulty and source of the practice exams. Using Schweser as a guide, if you are scoring 70+ consistently on their practice exams in all areas you should be fine… or so everyone has told me. We will see I suppose.

Nonsense.

That sounds like a nice scare tactic to me.

BS

Well, hold on here folks…I’d shoot for 80% and discount 10% for exam day stress and stupid mistakes.

I’ll shoot for whatever I get and assume that I’m going to have a higher level of awareness and focus on exam day as well as more experience (learned from my practice test mistakes) and studying under my belt, not to mention in the past most people feel the practice exams are slightly harder than the test. So from that perspective you could aim for a 60 and assume +10 for increased performance on exam day due to less distractions, etc. My point is, we just logically deduced a spread of 20 points around a 70%, so the “statement” by Australian CFA instructor guy is rediculous.

given their questionable wording of questions, i can’t see how 90% is even achievable.

questionable wording of questions…very nice.

westbruin goes poetic… better still …questionable questions guys let just give it our best shot…the very best …in studies and preparations…and leave the rest to God He knows all things …

biggest load of %^$& i’ve heard in approximatly 3 weeks 1luv

answer c)

Hmm … I thought the objective was not to score 80-90% on the practice exams but to pass the actual exam.

I heard that if you are not consistently scoring 100% on practice exams at this point then you might as well pack it in now.

I also heard if you get more than 5 questions wrong this year then you fail and if you get less than 5 questions wrong then they assume you cheated and kick you out of the program for life.