schweser online course

are you guys still doing them? i’ve basically stopped, but probably will go back and watch some more. at this point, i’m just not sure if 3 hours spent attending the class is not better spent reviewing and doing questions.

I’ve gone through the Schweser videos but just did a 60-question Q-bank ‘exam’ on Advanced level and scored 40%… I’ve seen all Equity and FI last year in October and scored horribly. PM was okay, I didn’t include Ethics just now and Eco was 50%. Quite a nightmare. Perhaps I should have worked through q’s more than I have thus far.

all advanced is pretty brutal though. that’s a tough test to put yourself through, Mcpass. i wouldn’t worry to much about that score considering you left out ethics and they were all advanced questions. i’m not sure my fragile confidence can withstand that kind of test just yet. what’s next, book 7? :slight_smile:

Book 7…Never!

Well it’s a wake-up call… wonder how awake I can get ;-). I’m just starting to review all my mistakes and do that over and over and over and over again. I decided to use Schweser to get an idea of the material asap (well… it’s April but still a lot faster than going with the CFAI books) and now I’m reviewing my mistakes (Schweser Q-bank/Book 6/BSAS) with the original books. Let’s hope I can post some nicer scores in the weeks to come. I do notice that I’m getting hooked to this forum more and more… that reminds me of last year and we all passed L1 back then didn’t we!

I still watch the videos, but I agree: it does feel like a waste of time. I watch them for the slight chance that he may have a different way of looking at something (that I find useful). Other than that, time is better spent reading/reviewing/testing. Online videos tend to hit on the main topics…and even then, it is brief.

Yep, we pulled it off last year. it’s good to see all the old names coming back. Hopefully we can do the same here at level 2. I plan on doing as many questions as possible, though i’m finding it hard to answer all teh open ended questions in the text. Still have 2 months to review and drill questions. we can only improve from here if we keep pressing. i’m really wondering if i should do a test just to see where i am right now. maybe the free cfa online sample test that comes with registration?

I agree. The only thing I noticed is that it makes you go quicker through the study notes. I just did the 60 Q-banks on Pension Fund FSA after reading that SS and scored 78%. Now that was slightly more encouraging then what I scored this afternoon when I did the whole thing.

3 hours is just a lot of time to sit and listen passively when you can be doing questions, i think. but i may have to watch on areas i feel weakest in.

78 in pensions. that will work!

last week i fell asleep during it.

Yeah it’s 11pm here so after doing pensions I think it’s fair to call it a day now… Happy studying people!

i haven’t taken those 3 hr classes, but at this point, i think it would be pretty useless, unless someone hasn’t already gone through the entire curriculum. 3 hrs is a lot of time and is better utilized practising problems or re-reading the text. right now, I’m in a revision mode and I’m re-reading bits and pieces and am trying to work out some problems. Still have a lot of revision left to do though. Have only gone through FSA, Econ and Ethics. I hope to start Quants today.

exactly. the last one i took was in corp finance, to review. i could have spent 3 hours more productively.

True Ruhi. Best to re-read the text and reaffirm what’s already there, somewhere in the vast expanse of the mind that is undoubtedly fried by CFA curriculum material by now lol I’m in revision mode right now, gotta get through PM by Thursday night, then going to revise Fixed Income/Derivatives/Quant/Ethics through next week before taking my first practice exams (one Book 6 Schweser and the ‘free’ CFAI exam). I can’t help but feel that this time around is tougher than Lvl 1, though at least I’m not going to be complacent come May when the TRUE game-face comes into play :)) I wasn’t a regular on AF last time around but I’m hoping to gain motivation/encouragement from contributing to discussions this time. Keep your heads up everyone… Cheers

I take them (in fact, I’ve got this evening’s class open in another window right now – it started 8 minutes ago!). I feel that it is just one more way to reinforce the general concepts because it really is, at the end of the day, a conceptual exam. I also like the pacing that it provides for my studies. Every week I put pressure on myself to be prepared for that week’s class. Admitedly, it’s not the most rigorous three hours, but I think that’s OK too. I feel like I’m getting something done, but, unlike the rest of my studying, it doesn’t hurt my brain too much. Also, you can easily review flash cards or do something else (like post to AF) while you’re watching a part that isn’t too important!

good point. i can have it on while i’m doing flashcards. i just can’t sit for 3 hours focused on the screen. as good looking as holmes is. that’s a joke.

I’ve been playing Solitaire while watching …