missing MBS info in Schwesser books

Hi, Just noticed that Schwesser does not cover floating rate tranches/inverse floaters, and interest only tranches. Do you think it is safe to assume this will not show up on the exam? -J

Not if they are in the LOS.

Rethorical question: Since Schwesser did not cover the Treynor-Black model last year, do you think that it was safe to assume this would not show up on the exam?

In fact, if you believe in conspiracy theories (I do) it makes it more likely.

I had an inverse floater yesterday morning. Luckily I covered it, but I had a nasty surprise when I got home, lifted the lid and it showed up.

^^ nominated as a top ten best quote for the June 08 study season

absolutely, i would consider anything that schweser doesn’t do well or omits to be prime ground for questions… i think cfa hates that schweser to a certain degree marginalizes the studying process for the exam. and that’s what i hear from others too… i’ve tried to get threads together on what schweser omits, does poorly or simply what new this past year (and maybe last year), but no one seems interested. maybe no one really knows of course

No one failed last year because of Treynor-Black. They failed because they didn’t know everything else well enough to make up for it. I think that effort expended trying to forensically compare CFAI texts to Schweser is effort better expended on knowing the topics Schweser does cover well. You only need 70% to pass. If and when I fail this year, it will be due to me not studying hard enough, not because I didn’t try to guess what will be on the exam. My two penn’orth.

Why didn’t you go the full Yogi Berra route and just say people failed because they didn’t answer enough questions right. I can only speak for myself, but I would say based on reading many people’s posts that everyone was taken off guard at the depth of the TB questions…whether they used Schweser or CFAI texts. I don’t think people were trying to “game” the test and didn’t bother studying it.

How much is one vignette worth? how many points on the exam? Plenty of people still passed. If you were that borderline, then I’m afraid that you were already taking your chances…

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > If and when I fail this year, it will be due to me > not studying hard enough, not because I didn’t try > to guess what will be on the exam. > I’ll be offering impressive odds on that so that you can hedge your risk. > > My two penn’orth. But I don’t do $0.02 bets.

Schweser does cover IOs.