Old CFA Exam Question

I’ve started (halfway through AV) doing these problems at the end of the readings in the CFAI texts and have two observations: 1) All/most the questions from a given vignette are all from the one reading. For example, there’s a vignette and problem set from the 2006 exam that is exclusively on competitive strategy. I always assumed problem set from “asset valuation” would draw from many AV readings. This scares me because I would hate to get a full problem set on a concept I’m not very strong in (eg emerging market valuation). Can any repeat L2’ers comment on last year’s format? Was each problem set focused on one reading or study session? 2) Any problem involving an calculator isn’t that bad. It’s the conceptual/qualitative problems that are more difficult (at least for me). I don’t think this surprises too many people. Anybody else working these problems?

Oh yes… I agree, I have found several of the calculation ones to be simple plug and chug (not all, but a good amount of them - at least 1/2 I’d say)… but those ones where they ask you if statement 1 and 2 are correct just kill me. Ugh. And the plug are chug are great if you know the formula but some are definitely on the random formulas, like calculating P/E with inflation flow-through.

orm Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Oh yes… I agree, I have found several of the > calculation ones to be simple plug and chug (not > all, but a good amount of them - at least 1/2 I’d > say)… but those ones where they ask you if > statement 1 and 2 are correct just kill me. Ugh. > And the plug are chug are great if you know the > formula but some are definitely on the random > formulas, like calculating P/E with inflation > flow-through. Thank you for reminding me of yet another small concept that fell off my radar. This exam is killing me.