CFAI test #1: economic pension expense?

I’ve confused with their answers. according to schweser. econimic pension expense=service cost+interest cost-actual return on asset. but their answer say it’s service cost+interest cost+actual cost! Can someone explain this?

anyone?

The only thing I can think of is that if actual return is negative, then it becomes an actual cost. Negative returns are possible, just think 401k.

oh yeah…I’m so stupid. thanks!

Yup, it was a negative return. I think they would have been better served as to keep the structure of the equation the same and just show a minus the negative. Hey Schweser or CFAI, I’m available to ghost write questions and help you with these stupid mistakes. Call me.

Just to be clear. Does economic pension expense mean the same thing as adjusted pension expense?

I think if the economic pension expense = adjusted pension expense; in that way .econimic pension expense=service cost+interest cost-actual return on asset ( correct);

thanks.

Actual return on Plan Assets is? End plan assets + Benefits paid out - Contributions - Beginning Assets How do we calculate if it is overfunded or underfunded?

fair value of the plan asset > PBO : overfunded fair value of the plan asset < PBO: underfunded is that what you want to know CFAdummy or did i get you wrong?