Ethics--finally settled!!!

Yes, companies are allowed to combine their own code of conduct with the CFAI one. Volume 1, page 8, paragraph 8 states:In addition, the Code and Standards are increasingly being adopted, in whole or in part, by firms and regulatory authorities. Their relevance goes well beyond CFA Institute members and CFA candidates. Further, pg 10: CFA Institute encourages firms adopting either the Code and Standards or the Asset Manager Code of Conduct to notify CFA Institute that they have adopted or are incorporating these standards as part of their firm codes of ethics.

that’s pg 8, par.2 Btw, those who got it wrong, might be able to complain to CFAI b/c this is not in the required reading.

ARE YOU SURE IT SAYS YOU CAN COMBINE THEM INTO ONE POLICY

the above is copy/paste. The key phrases are: in whole or in part–the latter implies combination is allowed. Also, another key word–incorporating. Common sense dictates these mean combination is allowed.

+1 …good for me.

i dont think so… the question said they combined into one code…which i remember reading you should not do, b/c then it gets to complicated…or something along those lines… the codes should be stand alone and easy to read… if combined into one they will be even harder to grasp. you can combine…you can not make it into ONE code… thats they was i took this

Nikko, can you try to find the reference? The code is availabe in pdf version on the website.

pg 77, I guess. But I think its talking about firms compliance procedure and code of ethics and the question was about CFA code and firms code.

i think it is somewhere in the compliance section… saying the code should be stand alone and easy to understand. and not made into this long co policy… i mean just think about how much cfa, loves themselves…do you think they would want a co to combine their code of ethics and add their own to it? making it basically a new code of ethics… or do you think the cfa would rather have a co adopt their code of ethics as stand alone code… meaning the exact code they have written… i remember the question saying the co combined their policy into ONE… i remember circling the word ONE… i dont think this is ok…

you know what really blows… is we will never know the CFA answer…we both think we are correct…and the only thing that counts is cfa…

so, Nikko, appeal to the CFA and see whether they would release the results of the ethics questions…it is in their best interest to clarify their rules a la the USGA who issues an application of the rules of golf along with the actual rules of golf. write a letter, i’d sign it.

i though tthis question referred to the employess being covered by the CFA code and standards, am i wrong here? i do remeber the combing of comp. policies, but i thought the specific question was do ALL employees (including non members/candidates) need to follow the code and standards???

Yes but what about distribution - does it have to be given as a handout, or can it be given as a link to an internet site for download for further use?

tkchunc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes but what about distribution - does it have to > be given as a handout, or can it be given as a > link to an internet site for download for further > use? A link on the company websit is more environmentally friendly :slight_smile: CFAI is going green!

finally settled !! …hahaha

There is a difference in a code of ethics vs. compliance procedures. I thought the CFAI curriculum said it was inappropriate to mix ethics/compliance. They are two different things.

“the question said they combined into one code” No no no. The question absolutely said one document. 100%.

caspian Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “the question said they combined into one code” > > No no no. The question absolutely said one > document. 100%. Definitely said one document, that’s correct. I’m under the impression that’s ok, until I see someone reference a CFA passage that says otherwise. I keep hearing vague rumors of “I definitely read about this somewhere…”

I figured I got this one wrong, because so many people said you could not combine, but I know for certain the question said “document” because my whole line of thinking revolved around my not seeing an issue with combining the two procedures in one document. It didnt make sense to me that I could NOT just staple my compliance procedures and the CFA procedures together and then hand them out.

To me, it makes no sense to have two separate doc’s. Just seems like a headache.