Official Thread: Wwhat book to read from now to Dec?

Without having to spend 2-3 hrs a day reading the CFA materials, I’ve started feeling somewhat empty. Not quite a beach person and don’t want to be a regular customer of the bars, I decided to pick up a book. In different threads, some folks have already mentioned several good readings. But let’s start an official one for this. I recently ordered “The Age of Turbulence”. Although Greenspan’s image is somewhat tarnished by the sub prime mess, I still think that he is the greatest fed chairman ever and am interested in his book.

I bought Confessions of a Shopaholic…

heh… my reading list consists of some Hemingway followed by: The Black Swan (which i’m entirely unimpressed with) The Economic Naturalist Predictably Irrational Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and then maybe i’ll learn another language. hahah

I got 2: Kamasutra and Theory of Chaos

What??? You can read the CFA level 1 and CFA level 2 texts again for a start. Then you’ve got the CAIA, FRM and PRM to do. The way you lot go on, you’d think we are allowed any free time.

I assume you are very lonely fellow, or will be… if you don’t “reward”/reimburse your frieand/wife for all that time that you spent studying and not performing all your “duties” in pre-exam “volume” :slight_smile:

papasita Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I assume you are very lonely fellow, or will be… > if you don’t “reward”/reimburse your frieand/wife > for all that time that you spent studying and not > performing all your “duties” in pre-exam “volume” > :slight_smile: Not as lonely as you may imagine, but i AM losing some of my friends ever since i started working on the exams. Obviously once you don’t answer a few phone calls for hanging out, your friends will stop calling. So can’t wait to get these all done and get my life back.

jeks Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I bought Confessions of a Shopaholic… must be a great reading for women. :slight_smile:

papasita Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I assume you are very lonely fellow, or will be… > if you don’t “reward”/reimburse your frieand/wife > for all that time that you spent studying and not > performing all your “duties” in pre-exam “volume” > :slight_smile: “Isn’t the probability weighted present value of future earnings enough for you?!@#”

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator (Wiley Investment Classics) by Edwin Lefèvre and Roger Lowenstein http://www.amazon.com/Reminiscences-Stock-Operator-Investment-Classics/dp/0471770884/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213806089&sr=8-1

Wouldn’t be a terrible idea to renew my subscription to the Economist which is always a nice light read.

uejjap Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “Isn’t the probability weighted present value of > future earnings enough for you?!@#” Not enough if you use your friendship as discount rate. Right after exam I called my friend to wish her Happy BD (in April), I left a message but she did not a call back yet … no thank you, no studying for me

uhh…I’ve been drinking and watching sports. Does that count?

YES, YES IT DOES.

While studying for level II I was casually reading ‘Don’t know much about the Universe.’ It’s very light reading so I should finish it in the next week or two, but wouldn’t recommend it. My two books on deck are ‘Relativity: The Special and General Theory’ by Einstein and ‘Origin of Species’ by Darwin. Those books are so well known, I feel like I should be able to speak intelligently about either of them. I read ‘Art of War’ before starting my 12/07 L I studying, I enjoyed it. ‘Freakonomics’ was a great easy read if you missed it.

jalmy8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > uhh…I’ve been drinking and watching sports. > Does that count? NO NO… watching sports doesn’t count. you may pick up a copy of sport illustrated however and convince youself of reading albeit there are only pics of swimsuit models.

Seriously…how can everyone spend so much time reading solely about finance? Why don’t you pick up some pleasure reading. Start with something like “Three Cups of Tea” which chronicles a guy who risks his life to build schools in Afghanistan. Than check out some of the greatest fiction books of 2007 - “The Emperor’s Children” for starters. How about some Shakespeare, which will get the mind off financial nonsense especially given the state of the economy at this point. I enjoy working hard on the CFA and a financial career is excellent, but there’s more to life people. BTW, watching sports and drinking beer is exactly what most of us should be doing. I guess none of us will get to watch Tiger again this year…unfortunate.

I’m reading 1776 by David McCullough. It’s a good book, I’m in the first half. Not sure how it will end, but it doesn’t look good for the colonists. I mean, what chance does a ragtag group of peasants have against the most powerful army and navy in the world?

Smarshy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m reading 1776 by David McCullough. It’s a good > book, I’m in the first half. Not sure how it will > end, but it doesn’t look good for the colonists. I > mean, what chance does a ragtag group of peasants > have against the most powerful army and navy in > the world? Outstanding book.

A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson) …a layman’s guide to the history of the world.