right time to start L2

Hi all, I am currently awaiting results for L1. Would like to know what is the appropriate time to start studying for L2. i don’t have any financial background (except L1) but i am pretty sharp at absorbing new stuff. i am aiming for GMAT this September after which i plan to start L2. will November be good enough to start for L2? Thanks.

I started studying for Level II at the end of January and felt well prepared. I see no harm in reading the CFAI materials in November though. I’m taking GMAT on Aug 2nd, I’ve been studying for a couple of weeks but SC is not getting any better …

8:34am, September 13, 2008

even i would like to take in August but not able to gather pace… guess i would finish my GMAT and then contemplate on starting L2 ( provided L1 allows me 2 !! )

looking at the historic pass rates I’d say 1964 would have been a good time. http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/pdf/candidate_results.pdf

now, why waste a minute :wink:

June 5th, 2009

November is more than enough time to study. You could probably get away with March. 3 months of solid studying is all you really need but you may not be able to go through both the CFAI books and the Schweser is that’s what your gameplan is. I started in March.

6 months if you want to move at a leisurly pace and accelerate in the last month or two. 3 to 4 months if you want to go all out (what I did after Dec. LI, but was very stressful, would not recommend). No matter when you start, there are no garuntees, but I think beyond 6 months diminishing returns kick in to the point where you see no material difference. I love when people ask me when to start preparing for LII. The best way to answer that would pretty much be never, I feel like I could never wish that experience on anyone. We are a sad lot us CFA candidates.

I started end of Feb / early march. I could barely squeeze stuff in. If i were to do it again, I will start in Nov-Dec. The books arrive in Nov. Good Luck.

2nd to 3rd week in dec. I finished cfai readings mid April. Had plenty of time to review and do practice tests.

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I started studying for Level II at the end of > January and felt well prepared. I see no harm in > reading the CFAI materials in November though. > I’m taking GMAT on Aug 2nd, I’ve been studying for > a couple of weeks but SC is not getting any better > … How are you doing so far on your prep? I just started studying last week as I couldnt build up enough motivation coming off of the CFA prep. I am hoping to take the exam early Sept and apply this fall… beatthegmat.com has really helped thus far…