Exam Date Dilemma

Greetings Everyone, I know im jumping ahead with regards to CFA level 2 - but i need some advice and opinion. I am planning to write my CFA Level 1 Exam in December 2009 - Lets say if i pass it, should i register myself to write Level 2 Exam for the following June 2010 - or 5 months of preparation time for L2 is not sufficent enough? I did some research and found out that L2 Exams are only offered in June - so this process slows me down as if i dont write it in June 2010 then i have to wait until June 2011 - thats after a year and half of writing L1 Exam… What do you guys say? Given the fact in this forum - ppl have a general opinion that L2 is much more in depth and will require a bit of more studying than L1 - Help me out o gr8 ppl of this forum… :slight_smile: Thanks!!!

Why are you studying for L1 for a year and a half? You should sign up for December '08.

Hi Young Prof - I am currently in my FInal year of Undergrad - starting Sept ending May Currently this summer doing my Co-op - That is why i have no option but to write the exam next year in December (2009)…

Why don’t you take level one and then decide for yourself. You will have a better feel for how rigorous the exams are, not to mention that you will find out if you passed or not (kind of important). You really shouldn’t be worried about taking level II 2 years from now.

where are these people coming from?

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > where are these people coming from? ^ Great question.

frizbee Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi Young Prof - I am currently in my FInal year of > Undergrad - starting Sept ending May > Currently this summer doing my Co-op - That is why > i have no option but to write the exam next year > in December (2009)… Huh? What’s preventing you from taking L1 in Dec 2008 or June 2009? Your UNDERgraduate education? You do know that most people who take CFA exams have full-time jobs and in many cases families / children? Act like you got a pair, kid.

frisian Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > frizbee Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hi Young Prof - I am currently in my FInal year > of > > Undergrad - starting Sept ending May > > Currently this summer doing my Co-op - That is > why > > i have no option but to write the exam next > year > > in December (2009)… > > Huh? What’s preventing you from taking L1 in Dec > 2008 or June 2009? Your UNDERgraduate education? > You do know that most people who take CFA exams > have full-time jobs and in many cases families / > children? Act like you got a pair, kid. Personally I would not have wanted to complete L1 in december while in undergrad. You can’t take L2 until 2010 anyway because you have to have graduated. What would be the point? Enjoy college while you have it.

frizbeee Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool Hats off…for such long range thinking… as for me …i am not sure…if i will wake-up tomorrow or not… so planning is an alien concept to me… u r thinking seems more wishful than a concrete plan… play it by the ear… who knows…by then …we may have a different exam …

i know a shitload of people that took level 2 in jun after passing l1 in final year of undergrad in dec

get set go, you’re driving me nuts with the punctuation.

hahaha

GetSetGo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > frizbeee > > Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool > > Hats off…for such long range thinking… > as for me …i am not sure…if i will wake-up > tomorrow or not… > so planning is an alien concept to me… > > u r thinking seems more wishful than a concrete > plan… > play it by the ear… > > who knows…by then …we may have a different > exam … I think this is clearly a dada engine.

My Friend, Planning in Advance is the key to success - People in this post are giving me examples as to how they have kids, and full time jobs and all while studying for thier CFA Exam - I am aware of that. I have not just limited myself to CFA - I want to pursue an MBA from an Ivey League School and that requires one to focus hard on thier undergrad in order to score a GPA of 4.0 - I am also doing various certifications on the side - such as Canadian Securities Course - AICB etc. - that is why i dont have time to focus on CFA Level 1 just now and plan to do it in December 2009 - by then, i will also be working full time like most of you guys here - So dont say that i dont know whats happening, or im doing wishful thinking and all… i thought people in this forum were helpful and gave encouraging remarks (only a few though) - rest cant say for certain. Thanks to all for those who gave back good positive feedback

I might have disagreed with black swan on a few instances, I agree with him here… comon dude planning for December 2009? and if you’re doing so many certifications let me tell you most of them wont mean shiat. Secondly, why dont you take level 1 instead of doing the mindless AICB thing. And not June 2009? When you keep planning like this it tells me you are very restless…You cant have your life chalked out right now… You can take my advice or chuck it out but if you are really tied up till next june or whatever, start thinking about level 1 and come post here then…and not here actually, post on the Level 1 forum where people who are taking level 1 will help you…

Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.

hey preetchawala, Yes i am aware these certifications that i am doing are nothing compared to CFA - but having considerable contacts in the Canadian Banking Industry - to land a decent entry level position - having such designations are defintily a big boost. June 2009 is simply out just now - like i said, i wont be done with my fnal year until May 2009 - during this year, i have taken extra curicular activites (showcasing my leadership qualities) as i plan to target Top schools like Harvard, Stanford Wharton etc - which all desire a good balance of studies and extra curricular actitcity at undergrad level - given that fact, plus the need to score straight A’s and pass other certifications i cant write my CFA in june 2009 but have to wait until Dec 09. you may call me restless - but infact thinking ahead leads to better formation of goals and accomplishment. I do have a post in Level 1 - I wanted to get an opinion from Level 2 gurus (who have passed LV 1) as to get a better opinion on things - instead a mindless debate has incurred.

This kid is going to run the next LTCM. All degrees, no common sense…

hehe, i’m with the ones here sayin pick up your balls and write one, if you fail, write it again. I wrote in June 2007, finishing school in August 2007 so I was in the middle of finishing school and working and studying. It only really takes a month of studying for LI if you have a finance background. And I’m assuming you do if you’re planning on taking the exam 16 months ahead of writing. and getting a 4.0 gpa… no big deal. how about challenging yourself to something instead of getting a grade that 90% of semi-competent people can get. life isn’t a race against others, its a race against yourself. and i hope you’re not taking a redundant mba. ie. if you have a bba, an mba is dumb unless its in quantitative theory or behavioural finance or something. i say challenge yourself… I passed my LI during my undergrad w/ a job, studied for only 1 month, and used only the CFAI texts and even skipped book 6. now thats a challenge :wink:

you can plan ahead all you want and that’s good that you are goal oriented, but I would concentrate on passing Level 1 before asking advice on when to take Level 2. Plenty of smart people fail Level 1 the first time. I know dozens of them.