Portfolio Section Blues

I stayed away for over two months now not expressing the trauma of bolowing up the itemset on Portfolio analysis. I am giving myself only random chance of scoring anything at all for the section. Otherwise, I feel quite good with the rest of the Level II. Am I alone in blowing up the section?

hell no. i think the most frustrating part about those questions was I knew that one of my yes’s or no’s were correct but the other was a guess for each of the first 3 questions. sucks.

I have similar feelings for the questions related to efficient frontier. Mostly because I only used Shweser for preparation. I did not know the details how the efficient frontier can be actually be created in real life. There were, if my memory serves me right, two questions/answers related to shorting while doing the optimization. I never ran into it while preparing. My situation may be worse. In addition to Portfolio Analysis Vignette, I was completely lost in the first vignette, the Ethics one, in the afternoon session. Again, completely my fault of not using the CFAI texts for Ethics, Soft Dollar, and Research Objectivity Standards. Primary these two vignettes with some silly mistakes in others will bring me down.

One of the very few things I got out of the Schweser live lectures in Boston was the profs insistence that if there’s one section to read the CFAI text cover to cover, it’s ethics…

have2pass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > One of the very few things I got out of the > Schweser live lectures in Boston was the profs > insistence that if there’s one section to read the > CFAI text cover to cover, it’s ethics… I knew this, but I had brutal time constraints and I also mismanaged my time after getting nervous towards the end that only thing I could do was the shorter version of Shweser. But you are absolutely right about using the CFAI texts for Sessions 1 and 2.

hey you guys, i am a level 2 “newbie” anything else in port mgmt that I should be ready or looking out for???

daj2224, I think your strategy of using primarily CFAI texts should help you avoid most of these issues. Of course, my memory decay rate is very high, so I would have hard time remembering some of the obscure stuff. As for the optimization technique for estimating the efficient frontier, I think I would have remembered it. As for Research Objectivity Standard, I had tough time remembering all its minutiae. For example, I remembered that documenting things is important, but I did not remember if you had to distribute hard copy to the audience or your reference to online documentation would be fine. CFAI tests some areas that are very obscure and only a thorough understanding and some level of memorization can make you very confident.

I agree. There is a lot of details that one has to remember on Ethics. The questions tested at a line level detail from CFAI text.

I would like my chances of passing a whole lot better had I finished strong on the PM section. I’m praying that I got at least two right on that section… I can see the finish line, I just hope I don’t come up short!

I find it amusing how everyone is still stuck up and obsessing over the PM and ethics sessions like that was the only thing on the exam, Especially to the people sweating over those 2 vignettes, I am assuming that you knew pretty much everything else on the test (which is why noone is complaining about anything else), so do the math, even if you scored 80% on the remaining 18 vignettes you made it well past the finishline, i.e. by a margin of about 8-10 questions, As for me, I have no idea whether I passed or not coz I made some silly mistakes in the pm derivatives item set (: & I screwed up PM and I screwed up ethics and those 2 BOP questions, but at this time Im trying to think about what I did well on & stay optimistic, Good Luck…

So can anyone tell us how the efficient frontier is generated? =)

Yeah. I remember guessing in the PM section and going for the gut feel. It was also bad that I spent too much time trying to guess the BOP in the Econ section that I did not even have that much time to process and review my answers for PM. Bad time management on my part.

ymmt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So can anyone tell us how the efficient frontier > is generated? =) memory lapse!! Need a real brush up to help you due!

ymmt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So can anyone tell us how the efficient frontier > is generated? =) memory lapse!! Need a real brush up to help you dude!