Salary incentive when you pass each CFA level

Hi all, A friend of mine works as a junier analyst and he was telling me that he is getting 10% salary increase by his company each time he progresses to the next CFA level. I am wondering if this practice is a norm in the industry? How many of you are offered this kinda incentive?

No one even bothers to know what CFA is. trust me. Once at the interview I was told what? CFA? Is this English courses?

At my current position, in the treasury department at a commercial bank, not only did I not get a salary bump when I passed, but I paid for my study materials and test out of pocket.

I’d partially agree with JCA. The few people at my company who have passed it, are extremely congratulatory and impressed. The wash-outs who attempted once or twice give you dirty looks. Everyone else is oblivious. I guess it could help you if you can weasel your way into working for a manager who is a charter holder.

My take is this: If an interviewer doesn’t know what a CFA is (and isn’t in HR), then maybe you should think twice about the job you’re applying for.

Thats quite strange guys…May be it differs b/w country to country but I know another friend of mine who gets full financial support from his employer upto two tries for each level but without incentives if he passes. Where I understand employers are the ones who benefit the most from the designation. don’t they? and they should promote and fully finance the charter.

mdecav Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My take is this: > > If an interviewer doesn’t know what a CFA is (and > isn’t in HR), then maybe you should think twice > about the job you’re applying for. That depends on where you live! Here in Scandinavia (Northern Europe) only very few people know what it is.

Any good bank or company within the financial services industry knows what the CFA is. Will the charter enable you to easily get a job? No.

jalmy8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Any good bank or company within the financial > services industry knows what the CFA is. Will the > charter enable you to easily get a job? No. I saw this so many times before. Can you explain why? Doesn’t passing level 2 shows I’m a smart guy and can do whatever my job assumes?

Agreed. mdecav Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My take is this: > > If an interviewer doesn’t know what a CFA is (and > isn’t in HR), then maybe you should think twice > about the job you’re applying for.

JCA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jalmy8 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Any good bank or company within the financial > > services industry knows what the CFA is. Will > the > > charter enable you to easily get a job? No. > > > I saw this so many times before. Can you explain > why? Doesn’t passing level 2 shows I’m a smart guy > and can do whatever my job assumes? I’m starting to learn that CFA is nice, but experience is everything. Yes, it proves you are diligent, hard-working and committed, but a lot of places expect you to turn up on Day 1 and be able to do whatever the job demands you to do, regardless of what exam you’ve passed. Someone mentioned it before - if a hiring manager is a CFA Charter holder, then you’ll have a more impressive CV than someone who doesn’t. But to anyone with the charter, experience will prevail.