passed CFA 1 studying schweser

hey , anyone pass the exam only studying from schweser books ? got the cfa ones and they look to big . is it better to get the schweser and study from there ? any feedback would be great thanks

Oh no. r.a., get you head down QUICK! Here they come…

Wednesday would be a better time for said question.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! attack!! ~along with various ape, man, and ewok noises~

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Oh no. > > r.a., get you head down QUICK! Here they come… haha, my first reaction was to rant about this isiot posting in the wrong forum…i wonder if that is a sign of how crazy i am over results tomorrow.

SIGH These guys really dont get it do they Close door on thread

helpful lot … goodluck

look TOO big? Thats what the ladies say to me every saturday night.

r.a. Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > helpful lot … > > goodluck I passed level I using only Schweser. A lot of other people have as well. I suggest you take that path, but also make sure you do a bunch of sample exams near the end. I recommend doing the CFAI practice exams as some questions from there actually showed up on the exam for me. Best of luck.

r.a., I passed LI using only the Schweser books. The important thing is whatever study guide you use, you still have to invest 200-300 hours. Do you feel better now?

r.a. Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > helpful lot … > > goodluck …there is this little blue word in the Goto menu located on the top of each thread. when you point your mouse at this word and click on it, it directs you to a new page. this page asks you to enter a word or phrase that describes the info that you are trying to find. you then type something in the box and hit enter. a miracle happens. all threads related to the word or phrase you typed magically appear. some refer to this web magic as the search function. does that help?

whoa. do you work for google?

i think i could have got the exact same mark on the level 2 exam, whatever that was, with 100% schweser… NOW, i think they could have written a test where that’s not the case, but they didn’t almost everyone told me beforehand that you can’t do level 2 with just schweser, but i think i could have this year (same mark, whether pass or fail)… and i know people from fairly recent past who only did schweser and passed on first try. don’t hold me responsible though… as i said, i’m pretty sure they could write an exam to blow away schweser-only users.

Actually, it made more sense for CFAI to screw Schweser/Stalla crowd just a year ago than it does now when they pre-sell their books to every single candidate. And since they presumably get their cut from all the prep business, it should be possible to pass by investing in ‘alternative’ guides.

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > whoa. > > do you work for google? no but my daughter taught me how it works. she keeps a pad by the tv. while watching toon disney she will periodically jot down words she sees during the commercials. later she will type those same words into the magic box on the computer and locate info on topics that interest her such as “camp rock”, “cheetah girls” or “passing Level II” ***sorry r.a., I know I am being a d#ck today. I just can’t help it. I am not always like this. …at least I don’t think I am. maybe a little.

also Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > r.a., I passed LI using only the Schweser books. > The important thing is whatever study guide you > use, you still have to invest 200-300 hours. > > Do you feel better now? Ditto. Passing L1 will still be a lot of work, but you can do very well w/o going through the official curriculum. Others have correctly noted the value of the CFAI practice exams. Schweser is not nearly as valuable for L2, in my opinion, where I really felt compelled to use the official curriculum more because Schweser seemed to leave out so much material.

i’d phrase it differently… it’s pretty much a moot question as you do get the main books for free now anyway. so there’s no concept of schweser only. i think a healthy majority of people on here used schweser as main text and supplemented with CFAI (i know i read the entire CFAI books but sporadically)… i found CFAI was very good for PM, Quant, ethics (maybe fixed income)… and horrible for derivatives (not sure what else)… but like i said, i think i could have got the same mark using ONLY schweser.

r.a., the “Search” utility of AF for this question would give you a lot of helpful information. I did not use the CFAI books for level I or level II although I had bought them for level I even when it was not forced by CFAI. Due to severe time constraints, I used Schweser for everything and CFAI for Ethics for level I. I did partially go through Econ section and skimmed through some other sections in CFAI text for level I and I thought CFAI books are detailed and thorough. If you do not have time constraints and you do not have enough background, I would suggest you to use CFAI books as primary source. You could use Schweser towards the end for a review. Take this suggestion with a lot of salt as I did not use this strategy, but I did feel that this would have been a better way to do it.

I used Schweser products only for Level 1 and felt adequately prepared. I didnt even have the CFAI materials. I am sure you could do the same, depending on your background, and assuming Schweser 2008/2009 notes are of the same quality as last year.

slouiscar Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > r.a. Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > helpful lot … > > > > goodluck > > …there is this little blue word in the Goto menu > located on the top of each thread. when you point > your mouse at this word and click on it, it > directs you to a new page. this page asks you to > enter a word or phrase that describes the info > that you are trying to find. you then type > something in the box and hit enter. a miracle > happens. all threads related to the word or > phrase you typed magically appear. > > some refer to this web magic as the search > function. > > does that help? ^^^^^^^^^^Absolutely priceless^^^^^^^^ Much thanks for this bit of humour to break up the unbearable inevitable “FAIL”