Dinesh

Well, the Pats didn’t win the Superbowl either. I’m pretty surprised, my friend, but you will absolutely kill this thing next time around. A Korean friend of mine in graduate school failed one of his qualifying exams and wanted to do some ritual Korean suicide thing because of the dishonor he had caused his family, etc… After a beer and a sandwich, he felt better and got back to it. Six months later he took his qualifiers again and I asked my advisor (who graded it) how he had done. My advisor said, “You know, that might be the best qualifier I have ever seen”. The guy is now a full professor at Seoul National University (good school).

My dad went to that school. It’s like the Harvard of Korea.

Good perspective Joey. Dinesh: I’ll second that, as one of the many who came to respect your knowledge and insightfulness throughout the study process earlier this year.

Thanks for your motivation and inspiration JDV!

Dinesh i third that all AFers here are rooting for u We will not stop til u reregister buddy

“My advisor said, “You know, that might be the best qualifier I have ever seen”. The guy is now a full professor at Seoul National University (good school).” Caspian: Joey, were you that guy? Joey: No no no. That was my roommate, Mitch Cumstein.

umm. what korean ritual suicide thing? it doesn’t exist. think he may have been overreacting. parental guilt trip/bad management/pressure a la michelle wie’s parents, yes. but no suicide. and yes. that school is like the harvard of korea… but agree… dinesh will kill it next year.

Dinesh, we’ll pass it next year for sure.

Friends, I have time till 23th-Sept to contemplate. I will make my final decision on 24th and register for L2 If I feel it’s worth trying for it again. The problem is not with redoing the study all again, I am a hardwork and will work hard again but the issue here was the TIME lost, 1 year gone down… things were already pretty crammed and when there was no margin for acceptance of a mistake, I did the mistake, fell short in my preparation. Now I have to rethink my strategies and see where all this fits in. I wish you all the best to the L2, L3 crew! … life moves on!

cfasf1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > umm. what korean ritual suicide thing? it doesn’t > exist. Hmmm… I don’t know about that. I saw this Korean movie a couple of years ago called Saulabi (or something) and all those Korean guys were stabbing themselves all over the place. It was just a movie… Anyway, I’m glad Chu chose “The Way of the Beer and the Sandwich” > think he may have been overreacting. > parental guilt trip/bad management/pressure a la > michelle wie’s parents, yes. but no suicide. and > yes. that school is like the harvard of korea… > > but agree… dinesh will kill it next year.

isn’t that Sipiku? (sp?) From the movie with DeNiro in it called Ronin?

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >wanted to do some > ritual Korean suicide thing because of the > dishonor he had caused his family, etc… After a > beer and a sandwich, he felt better and got back > to it. Must have been a hell of a sandwich!

you may be right. i only lived there til i was 6 so… maybe they didn’t fill me in yet… koreans do have a flare for the dramatic. there was that guy who would light himself on fire all the time. think he finally died. of burns. i’d also suggest the beer and sandwich.

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The problem is not with redoing the study all > again, I am a hardwork and will work hard again > but the issue here was the TIME lost, 1 year gone > down… Isn’t the time lost considered a sunk cost and should be ignored when making your decision? You can nail this thing next year, we all know you have it in you.

“Must have been a hell of a sandwich!” Was the sandwich the “Kelly Brook” special?

Hey Dinesh, I am more of a lurker here. I stumbled upon the infamous “Link” thread Sunday morning and although I was happy that I had the link when I checked (which I was not taking as a lock, but as at least a positive sign), I conversely really felt for you as I read through the chain of posts as you watched the checkmark disappear. That must have been tough. I especially felt for you when you opined that you might “leave the program”. I know that was an early reaction, and I likely would have felt much the same. For my money, I would strongly encourage you to keep at it. You were close and will do that much better next time. Although seeing “Fail” sucks, in the long run, this will be mostly forgotten, especially when you are celebrating your successful result. I really believe that if someone comfortably clears level 1, they can go all the way. An extra exam or two may be needed, but with persistence, ultimate success is within reach. You strike me as helpful and bright - two significant assets that will carry you through – and beyond. Thanks for your contributions, I have benefitted from them.

:slight_smile:

dinesh!!! I am proud of you for your dedication and effort, giving it your all and doing the best you could! After literally several years of taking level 2 I finally passed it this time around so I encourage you to stick with it! If you perservere I have no doubt you will defeat the level 2 monster!

joker, what what was your strategy please?

I concur - reading thru ur insightful posts was a major motivation for me to join the forum earlier this year. I also failed - sucks - as a young mother was contemplating leaving the program to spend more time with my kids, but after much thought I decided I am gonna do it again, and I hope to see u back on this forum. Go for it Dinesh - u have what it takes! U r an inspiration to many.