3rd Time or Get Life Back?

Hey all, I would appreciate an opinion from some actual candidates who understand the rigor of this test. I opened up the big FAIL screen last week and wanted to die. This is the 2nd time I took the exam. The first time I didn’t study as hard as I should have, but thought I gave it my all this time. Like most of you, I work full time, am married, have a child and like to pretend I have a life while still putting in 10-15 hours/week studying. Is it worth it to keep going after putting in so much effort, or do you finally count your losses and enjoy some free time?? Any other 3rd time takers? Thanks!

It depends on your situation I guess. Are you in the finance industry? What is your position? Will the charter help your career goals? I’m not sure how many hours you put in, but if you study 15 hours a week for 20 weeks thats 300 hours. I think a little more may be needed.

3XaCHARM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey all, > > I would appreciate an opinion from some actual > candidates who understand the rigor of this test. > I opened up the big FAIL screen last week and > wanted to die. This is the 2nd time I took the > exam. The first time I didn’t study as hard as I > should have, but thought I gave it my all this > time. Like most of you, I work full time, am > married, have a child and like to pretend I have a > life while still putting in 10-15 hours/week > studying. Is it worth it to keep going after > putting in so much effort, or do you finally count > your losses and enjoy some free time?? > > Any other 3rd time takers? > > Thanks! ================================================= oh please do not make these “sacrifices” QUIT THE PROGRAM

Settle down Werewolf. I agree with what Nike said. Depends on your situation. I’m also gonna be a third time taker.

I am an AVP at a commercial bank and work with funding/interest rate risk, etc. Not needed for my job necessarily, but even studying has helped greatly with various topics. I just wanted to get a feel for any other third time takers…

what band were you in

failed tiwce. first time close this last time no where near as prepared and bad. taking a year to to re-evaluate have some life back and get married. will tacle back in 2010… cfa not completely necessary in bonds sales, i came from research. so badly want ot get back to research but have to wait until the market normalises first…

cjb001 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > cfa not completely necessary in bonds sales, i > came from research. so badly want ot get back to > research but have to wait until the market > normalises first… so wouldnt it make sense to do it now, at the bottom/trough? on the other hand, I respect your need for a “life…”

you missed the getting married bit :slight_smile: but honestly, i feel a little beaten up and the drudgery of doing its again right now means i will not have the energy to tackle it in the right manner. i’d prefer to re-evaluate and come back to it fresh, green and keen. Yes its seems a waste if your of the mentality is pass this thing quickly, but having failed a couple of times, i feel like the life has been sucked out of me. time to enjoy other things and come back stronger. Plus, we’ll see how things progress in the job market, etc. Its not a binary decision for me.

Actually I passed on the 4th try it you can believe it, and the 3rd try was the lowest of the lowest in terms of score… 1st try was the closest to pass.

well done. i am all for perseverence

3Xacharm and cjb001, I’m in the same situation…in fact just came back from a chat with my supervisor to see what the mood would be if I took 1 year to recoup and then wrote again in 2010. I’d really like to have normal life for a short time but that may not be in the cards…

I’m gunning for my third… Dang.

Definitely depends on your situation at work and socially. I failed the second time with some of the sections I did best last year being the worst this year (go figure). I think anyone who has been serious about this exam realizes that luck has something to do with whether you pass or fail. I’m not sacrificing my personal life for a weird test that’s taken only once a year…but then I’m in a position to do that.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. I talked to my boss, husband, etc and finally decided to stop. The studying has helped me master some of the material which I use at my job. At this point, however, I think I would just rather improve my street knowledge and quit trying to memorize formulas. I am not the quitting type, but I just don’t think I want to spend the next two or more years studying again. (Probably more since I am sure I wouldn’t pass LIII on the 1st try! Congrats to those who keep studying and pushing thru!

3XaCHARM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I appreciate everyone’s feedback. I talked to my > boss, husband, etc and finally decided to stop. > The studying has helped me master some of the > material which I use at my job. At this point, > however, I think I would just rather improve my > street knowledge and quit trying to memorize > formulas. I am not the quitting type, but I just > don’t think I want to spend the next two or more > years studying again. (Probably more since I am > sure I wouldn’t pass LIII on the 1st try! > Congrats to those who keep studying and pushing > thru! =========================================================== “I am not the quitting type, but I just > don’t think I want to spend the next two or more > years studying again.” oh wow so you are not a quitter ?

equity_research_nds, how many names have you gone through?

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > equity_research_nds, how many names have you gone > through? =========================================== let me put it this way, I am not the quitting type

You are so funny!

I guess I am at this. But, having the job I want and being able to spend more time with my family and friends is a better trade off for me.