study progress

[original post removed]

I started with Quant. had one reading of quant syll. Not sure about timeseries. It confused me entirely. Now Started with FSA.

Will start in around Feb.

I finished Quant and am halfway through Econ. I hope to start FSA later this week.

Just finished Ethics and Quant. Right now working on foreign exchange part of Econ. yea time series sucks.

first-time studier, no finance background finished the first 2 books, hopefully i’ll be done corporate finance by the 20th of this month

tarving\_Banker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- \> Just finished Ethics and Quant. Right now working \> on foreign exchange part of Econ. yea time series \> sucks. Not a big fan of this €: = 1.25 the CFAI uses for FX, meaning the price of one euro in dollars . . . rather than the intuitive $/€ = 1.25

I just try to think in terms of “base currency” vs. “counter currency” since this is very general, abstract, and very easy to keep straight. I find confusions arise when you have combinations of: - country A vs. country B - domestic vs. foreign - A:B vs. A/B - direct quote vs. indirect quote Furthermore, I try to think of things in qualitative terms first when doing a calculation. For example, when you’re dealing in bid-ask spreads, you’re always going to lose out with a dealer.

I am struggling with Forex a bit as well. The notation does make things confusing and those bid-ask spreads with cross rates are tricky! I feel like the probability of something like that appearing on the exam is very high so I think it’s worth the extra time to master this area.

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > tarving\_Banker Wrote: \> -------------------------------------------------- \> ----- \> \> Just finished Ethics and Quant. Right now \> working \> \> on foreign exchange part of Econ. yea time \> series \> \> sucks. \> \> \> Not a big fan of this €: = 1.25 the CFAI uses for > FX, meaning the price of one euro in dollars . . . > rather than the intuitive $/€ = 1.25 Yea i was thinking the same thing! Well, i guess we will just have to get used to it.

Started 4 weeks ago and I’m 50 Pages into Book 3 of Schweser. Moving pretty fast but I know I’ll have to go through the readings all over again to retain all the finer details.

Going to be finishing up FSA Sunday (which is what I started with) then moving onto Ethics and going in order from there. Devoting about a week to each study session.

I just started a couple days ago with Quant, and I’m almost done with multiple regression. I skipped Ethics as I’m saving it for last.

thru ethics, quant, econ, started FSA yesterday. Definitely need to go back thru those again and again, but feel like I picked up some good stuff for a first pass.

some of the CFAi readings make me want to stab myself in the eyes thank god for schewser

I am having an impossible time getting into study mode as well. I have covered ethics, quant, and a bit of corporate finance but I am starting over to solidify it. I think the person starting in February might have the right idea.

I plan in starting in the next few days, though I planned on starting on Monday and still haven’t. I borrowed a 2008 book 1 from a co-worker as I am still waiting for Dec results, I’ll probably start with quant, or maybe first read the last 70 pages or so of ethics as the first 120 pages or so appear identical to L I.

I only finished ECON and only studying out of 2008 schweser notes…am I doomed for failure and should just give up now? Which sections should I read out of the textbooks and not Schweser? Any recommendations?

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just try to think in terms of “base currency” > vs. “counter currency” since this is very general, > abstract, and very easy to keep straight. I find > confusions arise when you have combinations of: > > - country A vs. country B > - domestic vs. foreign > - A:B vs. A/B > - direct quote vs. indirect quote > > Furthermore, I try to think of things in > qualitative terms first when doing a calculation. > For example, when you’re dealing in bid-ask > spreads, you’re always going to lose out with a > dealer. This A:B is really messing with my mind. Its so simple but I need to flip when doing cross rates or triangular arbitrage. I learned the A/B way about three years ago and know how to do all of this stuff that way. . . I’m just going to convert at the beginning and the end if they ask.

I have completed ECON, ALT INVESTMENT and hope to complete CORP FINANCE by 22nd Jan. My plan is to finish off four study sessions per month with schweser and CFAI questions. Since there’s a huge tendency of forgetting some of the stuff that I have already studid, thot I shld dedicate one particular day(may be a sunday) of the week for questions from the SCHWESER practice exam book.