Girlfriend or L2

Hi guys, I have a situation here… dere’s dis attractive chick in my org (in a support function)…after bumping into each other in elevators/ at cooler etc… i finally asked hr out and we r goin out…but calling her and meeting her is seriously invading on my study time…besides, i’m new in my org (my first hardcore financial research job), so work itself leaves me with little time for anyting else… also note that for some guys who r 25-30 years old, dating and possibly marriage is also one of the high priorities… how r others coping up with such situations?

GF just broke up me, cause i “didn’t have enough time” does that answer your question?

is she hot? if so, you could “passively” see her for the next three months and share w/ her what you’re going through … she can either be impressed by your commitment and dedication (and hopefully let you ‘score’) or think you’re a total nerd and weirdo

In my opinion, you always come first. She can easily dump you or stop seeing you, and your entire investment vaporizes instantly. Your studying and the CFA are things that you can take with you for the rest of your life. Study hard, studying comes first. Be honest with her about it. Chicks also dig guys who are passionate about things (in your case finance) and they also appreciate the honesty. So spend time with her on breaks as much as possible, but you be your own man and take care of business first.

i agree with elixerseven, as well as clama’s suggestion of “passively” seeing her. keep in mind, would you really want to invest time in the kind of girl who doesnt respect your own goals/dreams/passions? from my own experience, my boyfriend of course has his moments where he wishes i had more free time but ultimately respects my goals and deals with it. he’d be out of the picture if he didnt respect that.

GF broke up with me on Friday nite before exam day. That was a bummer… Go for her and Level 2/3 :wink:

*edit - wrong introduction What am I doing wrong? Okay, I’m tired of beating around the bush. I’m a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I’m articulate and classy. I’m not from New York. I’m looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don’t think I’m overreaching at all. Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around 200 - 250. But that’s where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000 won’t get me to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she’s not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level? Here are my questions specifically: - Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars, restaurants, gyms -What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won’t hurt my feelings -Is there an age range I should be targeting (I’m 25)? - Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper east side so plain? I’ve seen really ‘plain jane’ boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I’ve seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village. What’s the story there? - Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows - lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out? - How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY Please hold your insults - I’m putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I’m being up front about it. I wouldn’t be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn’t able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth. -------------- the answer I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament. Firstly, I’m not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here’s how I see it. Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal. Here’s why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here’s the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity…in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won’t be getting any more beautiful! So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain, you’re 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you! So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold…hence the rub…marriage. It doesn’t make good business sense to “buy you” (which is what you’re asking) so I’d rather lease. In case you think I’m being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It’s as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage. Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as “articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful” as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K hasn’t found you, if not only for a tryout. By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn’t need to have this difficult conversation. With all that said, I must say you’re going about it the right way. Classic “pump and dump.” I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.

a funny read indeed…

My girlfriend IS Level 2. Portfolio Management is really hot and gives it up to me every single night without any complaints…I could not be happier. Best, TheChad

I made my girlfriend get a tramp stamp of all the FSA formulas this time for L2 - - she wasn’t happy with it but obliged.

Elixerseven Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In my opinion, you always come first. She can > easily dump you or stop seeing you, and your > entire investment vaporizes instantly. Your > studying and the CFA are things that you can take > with you for the rest of your life. > > Study hard, studying comes first. Be honest with > her about it. Chicks also dig guys who are > passionate about things (in your case finance) and > they also appreciate the honesty. So spend time > with her on breaks as much as possible, but you be > your own man and take care of business first. great advice.

we need pics first

Thanks guys (especially elixirseven) for the great advice. I almost always get meaningful advice here…often even more so than frm the off-line world I think i’m goin to go passive whihc in my case i’m sure will lead to us breaking-up…hopefully i’ll find someone new post june 09! :slight_smile:

being a girl and going thru L2 myself, i don’t think you shud go ‘passive’ as such. Why not be honest and tell her what you are going thru? some CFA dating tips from a girl’s point of view: - have dates in places like starbucks where you can revise and she can read a book - go out for dinner with her after a day of revision (it will def keep you focused if you know you need to finish your target number of pages before going out) - invite her home, let her do the cooking while you revise (and make sure you praise her cooking skills and finish ALL the food afterwards ;p) … and the list goes on with such a intense and time-consuming exam like CFA, i reckon it is important to also have some sort of “life” even during revision times. It will keep us sane! And I’ll finish my rather long reply by saying “you will be surprised by how much she understands, have an honest conversation with a girl is not always a nightmare!”

It really depends on the girl herself too…I am a bit demanding type so if I were in that girl’s shoes I would rather prefer casual friendship limited to office than dating/relationship with someone who is studying for a gruelling exam…but maybe post exam I’d consider moving on… So i guess yes have a clear conversation and ask her straight forwardly what she thinks about it and whether she’d be ok with you not giving her that much time…and/or you can simply postpone datings till june… Just another girl’s point of view… :slight_smile:

i’d say if you’re willing to go passive with this girl, she’s not that important- forget her. if she were important, i’d say f the test- it’ll always be there, you go get her.

bannisja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’d say if you’re willing to go passive with this > girl, she’s not that important- forget her. if > she were important, i’d say f the test- it’ll > always be there, you go get her. I can say right away - given the way she tried to give you an ultimatum, that she isn’t worth anything. Not to sound trite but there are millions of fish in the sea; she can be replaced. When push comes to shove, we make the decisions, and the way I look at it, any girl who is lucky enough to get a trial run with me had better play her cards right or she is out the door. If you were smart, you would leave her. I’ve broke up with women for less.

Whatever banni said - these exams will keep happening but finding the solumate that’s right for you happens only once (atleast where I have born and brought up).

Pass L2. Pass L3. Get a better girlfriend…

Yeah, a DABA girl:))