FRM full exam question

Let’s assume for a moment that I’ve passed L3. I grasped L1 and L2 solidly and studied dilligently for L3. The FRM exam is on Nov 21. Roughly 12 wks from Aug 18th. What would you say is needed to enable me to prepare and pass FRM. I’m paying out of pocket, so incentive is of little concern. But I also want to be realistic. I’ve read that being good at math is important for the FRM–in this respect, last time I touched calculus was about 6 years ago in college. I was ok (high B, low A). So, if i were to undertake this, what advice would you give me. How many weeks of studying does GARP recommend in general for the full exam. Thanks.

I took the FRM after Level II. It is a tough exam and is a good revision of Level II and the Risk Mgmt Section of Level III. Studying hard should get you there but start studying right away.

From what hear very quantitative!

If you haven’t already done so, you may want to consider the PRM. PRMIA exempts anyone who has passed the 3 CFA exams from 2 of the 4 PRM exams, and you can take the remaining 2 at your convenience. I can’t really speak to the relative value of the two (to the extent they have any at all); my impression is that the FRM probably carries more weight but that the PRM is viewed as almost as good. The PRM doesn’t involve any ongoing fees after you get it, which is a benefit.

I would say the following: if you have no girl, no kids, no long commute, no demanding job, and are sharp as a tack and a great test taker, have at it. Otherwise enjoy the L3 pass and the rest of the summer and realize life is short

I have a wife, six month old kid, i travel 1 hr one way to my work and i have been doing the 12 hours in the office. Still i am so desperate to do FRM this year. Though i dont feel the need for FRM now, i just want to finish it off this time itself. Next year onwards double the money and probably double the efforts too. But it all depends on the results on Tuesday.

I did the FRM awhile back and passed with the Schweser notes. It is quantitative, but logical and doable. On the other hand, the PRM quant section is truly for quants. Matrix algebra, higher level calculus, probability therory. There is no “prep course” (other than a full year of math in college) that can prepare you for the PRM math section.

i’ve a feeling that the pass marks for FRM are not too high.i passed FRM 2008 with all sections in top quartile. i personally dont know anyone who failed FRM -and i dont even work in finance/investment field. its difficult to fail this exam if you are already in the CFA program

My roommate and I took FRM a few years ago. I studied for 8-10 weeks and he only studied for a week. Both of us passed.

Thank you all for responding. I’ll decide how to proceed after the results tomorrow. Good luck ot all.

I took FRM last year. My feeling is that the exam is very difficult but the passing rate is very high! So just do it.