Losing Motivation

I told myself that I was going to spend friday night studying for the CFA. Well its 11pm and I haven’t touch a single page. Every time I think about the CFA I keep on thinking… I totally forgot everything I learned so far even though I take incredible notes. Lost touch with most of my friends because I turned down all opportunity to hangout when I was taking level 2 and avoid entering into a relationship for the past few years so I can focus on my career. Stuck in my same job with no real hope of jumping into something I am interesting in (FX or FI). To be honest i’m doing this for $$$. Would love to get to a upper-middle class lifestyle. Just getting the CFA blues. What can I do to hype myself up?

Human greed deserves no sympathy. In a few months you may have passed the last exam of this beast of a syllabus and friends and lovers will no doubt return. We are living in a great time, so stop complaining, pass this exam, earn money and live your life.

Welcome to the club where I have an elite membership! I am trying real hard to push myself to complete this last exam and be done with it for good, but to no avail. For whatever it’s worth - This week I have logged in 4 hours as follows Mon:0; Tue: 2; Wed:0 (Reason: NGO meeting); Thu:0; Fri:2 (Courtesy: Starbucks) I remember for L1/L2 in the months of March - I used to touch 20 hours to say the least. So we are in it together my friend.

Happens to me sometimes. Two things: 1) Don’t tell yourself that you forget everything. You’re probably at the typical stage where you don’t know how much you already know. Don’t tell yourself you forgot everything until you hit the first sample exams. Even then, if you score a 60% or so, no problem. Just redo the stuff you’re not good at yet, and keep going. 2) If you’re at a low point, take a couple days off. Hit the after work parties, get wasted, talk to girls. This works for most of us dudes. Good luck - hang in there.

I finished less than 50% of the curriculum, and i am so bored of that CFA. I am losing control.

I was feelings this way the past couple weeks. This week I’m feeling a bit better, I’m keeping myself going because there’s no fvcking way in hell I want to go through this again!

I feel the same way as BiPolarBoyBoston. Relationship, friendship, fun life all out of the window. And I am stuck with a job I do not see hope. On top of all that, the CFA is really stressing me out. I feel like I can never exhale. I am always mentally tensed up. tortured by guilt if I am not studying, suffering from ADD if i am studying. There is just no way out. Plus, I do not even know how much value the test can add to in $$$$ term. The way i am dealing with it is just to suck in, going through the motion like a zambie. I do not think I can ever be happy until June. My motivation is " not to go through this again"

FixedIncome is just killer. So boring… I will never work in fixedincome ever.

I am feeling the same thing. Motivation is next to zero and already feeling burn out. Don’t know how will I push myself for next 75 days or so.

there is a negative correlation between the level of exam and motivation. check out the number of posts on AF for each level. They decrease as the exam level increases.

Ashwin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > there is a negative correlation between the level > of exam and motivation. check out the number of > posts on AF for each level. They decrease as the > exam level increases. Actually, last spring there were about 3x as many posts being made on the L3 forum than there were on the L1 forum here. We were pretty hardcore though.

I’m one of the unmotivated folk. I think our motivation drops towards L3 because by that time, we realize the true worth of this charter’s ability to open doors. I’m ready to be done this June so I can move on to more rewarding/impactful/meaningful/ initiatives.

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ashwin Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > there is a negative correlation between the > level > > of exam and motivation. check out the number of > > posts on AF for each level. They decrease as > the > > exam level increases. > > > Actually, last spring there were about 3x as many > posts being made on the L3 forum than there were > on the L1 forum here. We were pretty hardcore > though. Agreed McLeod

I was doing good on motivation until the last couple of weeks. Since I’ve completed one pass through the material, I’ve realized that almost none of the information pertains to what I do (I work in M&A). In the first 2 levels, I at least found FSA, Equity and Corp Fin to be relevant to me, but all of this Portfolio Management is just brutal! I just keep telling myself it will be over soon… So let’s do this! Just think of how it will feel to see PASS one last time in August!

I just hope that all you unmotivated people still show up and take the exam to help out us motivated people.

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was doing good on motivation until the last > couple of weeks. Since I’ve completed one pass > through the material, I’ve realized that almost > none of the information pertains to what I do (I > work in M&A). In the first 2 levels, I at least > found FSA, Equity and Corp Fin to be relevant to > me, but all of this Portfolio Management is just > brutal! I just keep telling myself it will be > over soon… > > So let’s do this! Just think of how it will feel > to see PASS one last time in August! I’m in the same boat, levels one and two where relevant for me, but now with level three I know I will never use any of this…except maybe managing my 401k

Spring 2011… Thats all the motivation I need… Any social event I say no to this year, i will be at next year.

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was doing good on motivation until the last > couple of weeks. Since I’ve completed one pass > through the material, I’ve realized that almost > none of the information pertains to what I do (I > work in M&A). In the first 2 levels, I at least > found FSA, Equity and Corp Fin to be relevant to > me, but all of this Portfolio Management is just > brutal! I just keep telling myself it will be > over soon… > > So let’s do this! Just think of how it will feel > to see PASS one last time in August! i’m just so worried even if i put in all this hard work, i still will fail. I’ve been following threads and realized so many people are ahead of me in terms of knowledge.

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Actually, last spring there were about 3x as many > posts being made on the L3 forum than there were > on the L1 forum here. We were pretty hardcore > though. That was because this site didn’t allow new registrations

Everything you mentioned is similar to me: don’t have time for friends, can’t remember anything i have already read, lack of concentration and motivation at work + the possibility of failure especially (essays are freaking me out) and awful weather makes me depressed. But I began to write plans which I want to fulfill during the next summer, autumn, winter and so on. Only hope that I’ll never spend a spring like this again helps me to open the books.