for those who failed level 2 then passed..

What band did you guys get when you failed? Just wondering since I got a pretty low failure band last year and wanted to see how people who fared badly the first time around passed the second (or third?) time…thanks

I was in 9 the first time

that sux, i was a 4. no hope :frowning:

I was a 6 the first time around and then passed last year >70 in I think all but one category. There is hope!

I failed L2 with band-10 and just managed to pass it this year. L2 was brutal!

i was band 9 in 2008 and then passed in 2009.

LaGrandeFinale Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I failed L2 with band-10 and just managed to pass > it this year. L2 was brutal! Ditto

Don’t give up hope, cfalover. My fail on the first time around put me in the Band 3 or 4 group. I was very discouraged, but only a few weeks after receiving the test results, I got back on the horse signed up for the LII again. I attribute my poor performance to a # of factors: 1) Didn’t start studying until Feb. 2) Just ended a relationship 3) Used CFA books exclusively On my second shot at Level II, I was met with success! Started preparing in Oct because I knew there would be a lull period before adrenalin would kick-in during April. Got wise and used the Schweser books, which helped me pass Level I on first attempt. And, finally, made sure not to have any relationship disruptions. If these don’t apply to you, then I think it comes down to examining whether your study habits are effective, and changing them to make sure that you are retaining the information.

wishiwererich Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 3) Used CFA books exclusively There you go, you said it. Atleast you realised what the mistake was and switched to Schweser.

Thanks wishi, that helps a lot. Although I didn’t start in Oct (started in January). Using Schweser mainly, but also looking at the CFA material and planning to do all the EOC out of there. We’ll see if that helps. But yes, L2 is brutal :frowning:

Failed band 4 as well and passed following year.

Winthorpe what did you do the following year when you passed?

Band 10 and who knows the margin on the pass. Probably not by a whole bunch.

Failed L2 Band 2 the first time - doesn’t matter how you did the first time around, it’s all about the time and effort you put into kicking the exam’s butt the second time around! I say this as I procrastinate on my studying for L3… !

Band 10 the first time. Didn’t shoot the lights out, but passed the second time. The first time I tried to turn around from Dec L1 to June L2. Not that it can’t be done, but I didn’t have the time I needed to give it the attention it deserved. Not passing was definitely the right call on CFAI’s part considering I did not have a very good grasp of the concepts the first time around. Being a good test-taker got me into Band 10. Retaking L2, my understanding was light years ahead of the year before. I think it’s helped considerably in studying for L3. Keep at it.

Put in more time, read through Schweser first time around fairly quickly, second time around was more thorough and typed out notes for each book and answered the questions after each section. From there on out, it was mostly reviewing my notes and answering all questions I could get my hands on from the Schweser and CFA books. Areas I was still not doing well in, I watched the online class video. It took time, but focusing on the main areas, FSA, FI etc…so that I had a solid understanding of these sections and then the less weighted sections was just sure I have a good enough handle to be able to answer a good deal of the questions.

FWIW, i passed just the once. but over and over again on the schweser books. probably read some sections 10 times… don’t go deep where the LOS doesn’t suggest it’s needed. yes, LOS has let some people down, but i don’t think ever on going really deep. 10-15 absolutely key formulae that i think make or break you