So What do you guys think?

Just like most of you I am awaiting the Level 3 results too. I would like the guys based in the US or London who are a part of the industry to give me some comments/views. I have an undergraduate degree from the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi in 2008. I have been prop trading Eurodollar, Euribor, Short Sterling Futures and the US Fixed Income since then(mainly on an intra day or a 2-3 days view basis) with a fairly high lot size. Do you guys think I have any chance of making it to a prop desk or an investment firm in the US or UK?

When a freaking fool like me made it to the United States, you seem to be 10 thousand times more talented because of your IIT-D brand. Goldman is waiting for people like you. Just give it a try mate, don’t doubt your capabilities.

Yes, you can!

You’ll have some problems with visas and sponsorship. In the US, the supply of H-1 visas has been cut due to the economy. I’ve heard of similar things in the UK.

Please check the H1-B count status here: http://www.murthy.com/nflash/nf_h1cp11.html. It starts every year on 1st April. You can still apply.

^ doesn’t he need to find an employer first who can sponsor him? I would say it would be tough especially there are so many people with his background in US itself who are unemployed and have decent experience working in trading related field. For ex- MSF students in US. I would recommend to go as a student to the top-schools in US (Princeton, NYU, CMU and Columbia in US or LSE in UK have a good MSF program). It would be hard to come directly as a trader/FO job to US or UK. Do you have exp working in big.institutions? You can join an international bank in India and depending on your performance, they might be able to transfer you to their international offices. With current qualification, you have 1% chance and that too because of luck and not because of experience/qualification.

^+1 to Pup

Yea for H1-B you will first have to find a sponsoring employer who files your petition (I-129)and it’s a 6m+ long process after which you get the notice of approval (I-797A) and then you can schedule your interivew in the US embassy/consulate VFA office. Good luck, it’s a pain very well worth it :expressionless:

pupdawg82 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > With current qualification, you have 1% chance and > that too because of luck and not because of > experience/qualification. Totally! I just have Bachelors from there (yea, not even Masters!) and work in IT here due to that 1% luck. Not even full time, but as a jerky consultant! All of that to my qualifications and also the failure next week with L3. (+ I failed L2 once) Good bye CFA. I am done with the program. Thanks but no Thanks. I kept holding too many personal things in order to persue this sh!tty CFA. Utter waste. To the OP: It’s a difficult conuntry, especially if you don’t have a EAD/GC/CITZ everyday is a freaking fight.

^you can come as an IT consultant for sure but yonder wants to be a trader so hardly any chance.

I’m a receptionist with no work experience whatsoever working on Level III dreaming of breaking into advanced finance. Is it ever going to happen? No. I’ve been applying for jobs for 3-4 years and not a single opprotunity. I live in the US and have a degree in finance and mathematics. Luck is 100% of making it. I have no luck. If you are lucky, rich, or have relatives who can get you in, you will make it. Otherwise, you might as well start buying lottery tickets.