Result not making sense

Hi to all, I have failed my CFA level 3 exam and I still can’t believe it because I know my preparation was not that bad. But my score shocked me. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 35 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Institutional 25 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 * - - 4 Economics 14 * - - 5 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 15 * - - 6 Fixed Income Investments 18 * - - 7 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 20 * - - 8 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 17 * - - 9 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 12 * - - Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - - * - Equity Investments 36 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 * - - - Portfolio Management - Risk Management 18 - * - It does not make sense to me. While I have done OK in the second half (which means I did study), I got completely washed out in the first half. I am not sure whether I should apply for retab. Is it possible that they just forgot to enter my marks into the database? Has any1 faced something similar either now or before. I need to decide fast whether to take this further or just accept the result and move on. So any advice/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

I haven’t heard of a successful retab, but this sure looks weird. If it were me, I would probably pay.

Is it possible that you didn’t number/letter your answers? I took a course through Schweser, and the instructor warned us that if your responses aren’t clearly identified as to which question they are answering, they will just skip it.

there’s a high probability they forgot to add up your AM marks…If i were u, i’ll pay for retab.

Retab that

That is an incredibly low first half score, if it’s yours. I’d re-tab that for sure just because your entire first section is zero variation, just < 50% across the board. Good luck and let us know what the turnaround time/result is.

Yeah, unless you’re mentally retarded, it’s unlikely that you would have gotten that score. You should request a retabulation and specifically point out the breakdown.

I’d definitely pay to find out what happened. Please let us know once you hear back.

If they find out that a grader or someone else made a mistake would he get his re-tab money back?

I firmly believe that retabs are almost always a waste of money, but I would retab that for sure.

I am in a similar boat… here is my result 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 35 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Institutional 25 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 * - - 4 Economics 14 * - - 5 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 15 * - - 6 Fixed Income Investments 18 * - - 7 Portfolio Management - Risk Managemen20 * - - 8 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalan17 - * - 9 Portfolio Management – Performance Eva12 * - - Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - - * - Equity Investments 36 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management 18 * - - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - - * - Portfolio Management - Risk Managem 18 - * - Strong afternoon session and AM has 8 < 50 and 1 between 51 and 70

I would definitely retab both.

The only thing I can say about these weird results is that you guys probably answered the questions wrongly e.g. defining instead of listing… But I’d definitely go for a retab if I get that kind of result though.

For the first one especially, if I were in that position, I would want to know if the morning questions had been graded on my exam, or if they had not been graded because I did not properly number the responses etc. Although it would not change the outcome in that case, it would be good to know if it really was answers that were not what the graders were looking for (which means more studying) or just that the answers were not properly and clearly identified (a hard lesson!) Very interested to hear the results.

ouch…never seen that before!

• Poor writing, if they cant read it they skip it - Not numbering/lettering the question you are answering. - Missing questions by accident ( sometimes the question is 1 sentence and you might think it’s simply part of another question - Putting you answer in the page when you should have put it on the written lines -Putting you answer on the written lines when they had designated boxes for them - ***Paying key attention to key words. This screwed me up major the first exam. I would see some nice boxes worth 12 marks with a term on the right hand side and I would start writing. Then when the exams are released i realized the question was asking “is NOT” etc… -They ask for 2 points but since you want to kill the topic you put 4 points. well they only mark the first 2 even if the frst 2 were wrong and the last 2 were right Lots to be tripped up on and this is what 1st timers have to encounter. Regardless, $100 is well spent the peace of mind regardless if they dont bump you up or pass you

I suppose it’s possible that this is correct. I got 4 out of 9 morning sections less than 50, even though I got over 70 in all but one afternoon section. The morning session was just that difficult…However, if I were in your shoes I would shell out the $100 in a heartbeat.

Do it, and keep us updated.

Same here… Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 35 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Institutional 25 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 * - - 4 Economics 14 * - - 5 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 15 * - - 6 Fixed Income Investments 18 * - - 7 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 20 * - - 8 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 17 * - - 9 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 12 * - - Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - - * - Equity Investments 36 * - - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management 18 * - - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 * - - - Portfolio Management - Risk Management 18 - * - What do you all think…, retab?

nohuddle, I would not retab yours because your PM score was only 58% based on 40/60/80 scoring. You would have had to kill it in the AM section to pass. To the original poster, I would definitely retab that one.