2011 - eBook: The RESOLUTION IS SO LOW!

I have not decide which to choose - ebook or printed. but I had a try on the sample 2010 level 1 ebook. Is the resolution so low?? I used a laptop and could not stand it… Anyone purchased the l3 ebook and post here please :slight_smile:

Could someone purchased 2011 ebook share the information, like resolution? thanks…

I’m using the ebook right now, no issues. This is on an msi laptop, 13.3" screen.

bpdulog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m using the ebook right now, no issues. This is > on an msi laptop, 13.3" screen. thanks. my thinkpad has a 1400*1050 resolution screen and I used the sample ebook feeling it look bad… if on a 1600*1200 screen wonder wat would happen…

I’m using the ebooks for 2011 on mac. The resolution is not GREAT! infact it looks a little blurry. as if these are scanned copies. anyone else has this issue?

I have issue with speed of transition from one page to another. It does not depend really on the click/movement of the mouse! You will have to wait some seconds for response after you click mouse or slide the page in view up or down. This is frustrating!

Oal29 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have issue with speed of transition from one > page to another. It does not depend really on the > click/movement of the mouse! You will have to wait > some seconds for response after you click mouse or > slide the page in view up or down. This is > frustrating! …make printed copy a better choice-.-

I feel I may need to purchase a set of ebook of 2011 level III curriculum so I can go over some stuff more in detail,even I passed Level III this year. I just feel it is a good reference book touching lots of points in real world of finance.

FRMer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I feel I may need to purchase a set of ebook of > 2011 level III curriculum so I can go over some > stuff more in detail,even I passed Level III this > year. I just feel it is a good reference book > touching lots of points in real world of finance. cannot read on kindle or ipad…it sucks

that sucks…

i got the ebook to save a little cash - kinda wish i had gone hardcopy, to be honest. Not really a resolution problem or anything, i think i’d just like to carry it on subway, etc. Find myself printing up some pages to look at

smileygladhands Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i got the ebook to save a little cash - kinda wish > i had gone hardcopy, to be honest. Not really a > resolution problem or anything, i think i’d just > like to carry it on subway, etc. Find myself > printing up some pages to look at I plan to buy the ebook and also buy printed copy, but not from CFAI…:smiley: will i be banned here?~~

coshair Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Oal29 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I have issue with speed of transition from one > > page to another. It does not depend really on > the > > click/movement of the mouse! You will have to > wait > > some seconds for response after you click mouse > or > > slide the page in view up or down. This is > > frustrating! > > > …make printed copy a better choice-.- Printed copies are almost useless. Had to strain to read the wordings and almost broke my glasses in the process…

coshair Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FRMer Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I feel I may need to purchase a set of ebook of > > 2011 level III curriculum so I can go over some > > stuff more in detail,even I passed Level III > this > > year. I just feel it is a good reference book > > touching lots of points in real world of > finance. > > > > cannot read on kindle or ipad…it sucks Supposedly the iPad app that I assume will allow zooming and better viewing is coming out soon.

The ebook is terrible. It requires a proprietary software to run. The download took ages as it appears that the server is too slow. The text is slightly blur but tolerable. But the worst is that it is slow when reading from page to page. Moreover, it appears that there are only preset zoom settings. There is no single button to select your zoom percentage. The zoom depends on whether you select: “Single”, “Continuous” or “Facing pages.” Selecting and disselecting Navigation will also affect the zoom setting. Seems to me that CFAI got a raw deal outsourcing to this vendor to produce the eBook. If I am CFAI, I will use a very simple approach which is to use PDF format. It is universally acceptable format. To guard against copyright infringement, they could just embed watermark of the candidate’s personal particulars on every page of the PDF. I see such technology being used when I purchase an ISO softcopy document. Simple solution is often the best.

Are you able to print the ebooks?!

bell99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The ebook is terrible. It requires a proprietary > software to run. The download took ages as it > appears that the server is too slow. The text is > slightly blur but tolerable. But the worst is that > it is slow when reading from page to page. > Moreover, it appears that there are only preset > zoom settings. There is no single button to select > your zoom percentage. The zoom depends on whether > you select: “Single”, “Continuous” or “Facing > pages.” Selecting and disselecting Navigation will > also affect the zoom setting. > > Seems to me that CFAI got a raw deal outsourcing > to this vendor to produce the eBook. If I am CFAI, > I will use a very simple approach which is to use > PDF format. It is universally acceptable format. > To guard against copyright infringement, they > could just embed watermark of the candidate’s > personal particulars on every page of the PDF. I > see such technology being used when I purchase an > ISO softcopy document. Simple solution is often > the best. +1. Downside, it is inevitable there are pdf conversion documents that will go around the internet to omit the watermark. Or just copy to word doc format. Also raises a question: are candidates who’s candidate ID is on a pdf floating on the internet liable for displicinary action? It might be accidental, or he might have his/her computer hacked etc…

Anyway, I have called CFAI and they exchanged me for a printed curriculum. I paid $60 for it. UPS shipped it to me 2 days ago…it’s good to have printed curriculum…BUT WITHOUT POSTCARDS!!!

Just to add my 2 cents, I bought both versions (printed + electronic) thinking that I can at least use electronic copies on occasions. To my surprise (positive), the printed curriculum is rather portable with around half the size of Level 2 material (over 3000 pages including appendix). So I was happy with the printed version. To my surprise (negative), the electronic version is subpar, the reasons are: 1) Require the use of proprietary software, resolutions are poorer than most PDF books I have seen, even though selection/highlighting and note-making is there but the text on screen is obviously rendered and not native fonts, i.e. the text are images rather than the better resolution true type fonts that we are so used to in Word/Powerpoint or PDF. 2) Printing is allowed but at 170 pages maximum at a time. I printed all mine to PDF, thinking that this will resolve the resolution problem, but to my disappointment… 3) … the pdf outputs (using cutepdf utility masquerading as a printer) are also images, just about ok if you zoom in a little and read on ipad (which is my main reason for exporting to pdf) 4) The printouts are watermarked so I will (and should) not be sharing these with anyone, to make matters worse, the actual CFA curriculum pages have huge wide margins around the pages, about 2cm of gap, so actually making the whole reading experience on pdf/ipad even worse. 5) Proprietary software is good in general in terms of features (note-taking, highlighting) but yes, slow to do page turn if you have a normal laptop/slower hardware. It has to be installed on your computer so makes it pretty much redundant on a corporate PC where 3rd party software is not allowed. Each book is around 170MB so we are talking big files here.

mylifesofar Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just to add my 2 cents, I bought both versions > (printed + electronic) thinking that I can at > least use electronic copies on occasions. > > To my surprise (positive), the printed curriculum > is rather portable with around half the size of > Level 2 material (over 3000 pages including > appendix). So I was happy with the printed > version. > > To my surprise (negative), the electronic version > is subpar, the reasons are: > > 1) Require the use of proprietary software, > resolutions are poorer than most PDF books I have > seen, even though selection/highlighting and > note-making is there but the text on screen is > obviously rendered and not native fonts, i.e. the > text are images rather than the better resolution > true type fonts that we are so used to in > Word/Powerpoint or PDF. > > 2) Printing is allowed but at 170 pages maximum at > a time. I printed all mine to PDF, thinking that > this will resolve the resolution problem, but to > my disappointment… > > 3) … the pdf outputs (using cutepdf utility > masquerading as a printer) are also images, just > about ok if you zoom in a little and read on ipad > (which is my main reason for exporting to pdf) > > 4) The printouts are watermarked so I will (and > should) not be sharing these with anyone, to make > matters worse, the actual CFA curriculum pages > have huge wide margins around the pages, about 2cm > of gap, so actually making the whole reading > experience on pdf/ipad even worse. > > 5) Proprietary software is good in general in > terms of features (note-taking, highlighting) but > yes, slow to do page turn if you have a normal > laptop/slower hardware. It has to be installed on > your computer so makes it pretty much redundant on > a corporate PC where 3rd party software is not > allowed. Each book is around 170MB so we are > talking big files here. If you dont want it, they can actually make a refund…like they did to me.