Research Upends Traditional Thinking on Study Habits - NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/health/views/07mind.html?_r=1 Too long to post here, but article may be of interest to some.

very helpful! thanks.

thanks for sharing

Great read - felt like the author stole my study philosophy and put it into words much more eloquently than I could have. Definitely agree that alternating study environments and topics helps immensely; I think I read in every chair/couch/bed/etc in my house and multiple libraries as well. Obviously can’t claim a photographic memory of all individual pages, but certain topics I would remember where exactly I was and it helped with retention. Also, alternating topics helped counteract the burnout/attention span issue - going from finance to foreign language and back allowed me to focus for much longer periods of time than pushing full speed ahead on one CFA book. Have no doubt this had a disproportionately positive effect on my exams…knowing the material is foremost, but at its core it’s still a standardized test, an SAT on steroids. Finding optimal study habits can be the difference between pass and fail.

Great NYT article! Thanks for sharing.