Who has started?

I just got my schweser notes yesterday and it CFA seems to be at the same level that I left it 4months ago after I passed Level 2. I am starting 1Nov. How far are you guys? and how are you finding it so far?

starting February 1

still cant motivate…Im hoping for Nov 1st, but it may take longer before I start to feel some urgency…havin too much fun hangin out every weekend.

Already a month into studying here, about to finish Book 2. All I can say at this point is the material is pretty dry, but there aren’t that many formulas.

i’ve started, and i’m having a hard time retaining anything. for me, this is much harder than L1 and L2. Alot of L1 and L2 could be boiled down to knowing a formula and how to apply it, this stuff is all conceptual. I used Qbank heavily in the previous levels - i’m not sure how helpful its gonna be this time around.

good gracious my thoughts too smiley…for some reason I cannot get it started like I was able to on Levels 1 and 2. I have read through one CFAI Text and felt like I didnt retain anything. Started another CFAI text and gave that up once I got the Schweser. I think I am going to do my first run through with Schweser and then start to nit pick subjects in the CFAI later. having a hard time getting going though.

bpdulog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Already a month into studying here, about to > finish Book 2. All I can say at this point is the > material is pretty dry, but there aren’t that many > formulas. BP, are you still studying out of Schwartzman? I’m doing an externship and spending about 40+ hours a week in SIBL, but will happily join you in Schwartzman once I get my texts and start (Novemberish?).

i’ll join you cats too being that I just landed in NYC but I heard there are bedbugs up in that joint.

NYCGorilla Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’ll join you cats too being that I just landed in > NYC but I heard there are bedbugs up in that > joint. Have never heard that, Gorilla. Schwartzman is beautiful, as libraries go - tourists flock here all year round to take pictures of it and gawk. It’s probably the nicest location I’ve ever studied in. If you haven’t been, come join us once you get your books. As far as bedbug hotspots, supposedly the wooden benches on subway platforms are a far more likely candidate. Be sure to carry purell. Use tissues when holding subway poles. Take a cup lid from far down in the stack at the coffee shop. Deny people high fives for fear that they’ve got Ebola. Wear a radiation suit and a surgeon’s mask AT ALL TIMES. The most important thing is to LIVE IN FEAR and ALTER YOUR DAILY ROUTINE according to WHICH THREAT FOX NEWS MOST RECENTLY PROFILED. Welcome to NY.

supersad, im hosting a CFA party in Tribeca this weekend, youre welcome to come homey. no bedbugs allowed.

Jan 1

SkipE99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > good gracious my thoughts too smiley…for some > reason I cannot get it started like I was able to > on Levels 1 and 2. I have read through one CFAI > Text and felt like I didnt retain anything. > Started another CFAI text and gave that up once I > got the Schweser. I think I am going to do my > first run through with Schweser and then start to > nit pick subjects in the CFAI later. > > having a hard time getting going though. yeah, i feel like its a real uphill battle…for L2, i didnt start seriously til february. maybe its knowing that theres so much time or something. i’m finding this material to be so extremely dull, so that doesnt help. Also feeling pretty screwed because portfolio management has always been my worst area by far…no FRA and Corporate Finance for me to bank easy points on this time.

smileygladhands Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’ve started, and i’m having a hard time retaining > anything. > > for me, this is much harder than L1 and L2. Alot > of L1 and L2 could be boiled down to knowing a > formula and how to apply it, this stuff is all > conceptual. > > I used Qbank heavily in the previous levels - i’m > not sure how helpful its gonna be this time > around. Wouldn’t waste time with Qbank. I had it and did maybe 30 questions before I realized my time was better spent elsewhere. Rather do all the past AM exams twice or even three times… and of course do the EOC (this is the first level in which I did nearly all the EOC and I am glad I did)

My plan is to cover book 1 last, so I’ve read and done the EOC’s for SS 3-14.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bpdulog Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Already a month into studying here, about to > > finish Book 2. All I can say at this point is > the > > material is pretty dry, but there aren’t that > many > > formulas. > > > BP, are you still studying out of Schwartzman? > I’m doing an externship and spending about 40+ > hours a week in SIBL, but will happily join you in > Schwartzman once I get my texts and start > (Novemberish?). I’m at Schwartzman on Saturdays. Rose Hall (the one on the left).

So far it looks like the general feeling is that the material is dull and conceptual with few formulas. I pray for strength…

just logged back into AF since August…feels good to walk away from this for a bit. Probably won’t start until mid-Feb. Made a feeble attempt when I got the CFAI books, but put me right to sleep on day 1.

Just started this week but easing into it REAL slow. Reading ethics to refresh my memory since I took a year off last year.

Should have book 4 done tomorrow. Hoping to finish the other 2 by the end of Nov. Work has been slow and my boss doesn’t care if I read during my down time. Usually can knock out at least 50 pages a day

Honestly, I can’t believe there is any benefit to starting before 4 months prior to the test. The CFA is about retention, not hours logged or Qbank questions completed. The absolute perfect amount is 3 to 3 and 1/2 months… 2 to 2 1/2 months to cover the material and 1 month to do practice problems and tests. 4 hours a day minimum on weekdays (more on weekends) over that time period will get you there. If you start in November or before you will lose all understanding of everything you studied by time you pick up a practice test 1 month or so before the exam. I know a kid who studied for 2 years for level 1 and did over 4000 Qbank questions over that time period and couldn’t pass. Contrary to what you might think he wasn’t dumb, he just didn’t have a realistic RETENTION strategy.