How many candidates are actually investing own money??

Just wondering how many candidates on the forum actually invest in markets and put theory in practice… would be good to know what avenues look interesting considering the Europe crisis and slow US growth… emerging markets anyone??? Dhaval

I invest my own money in my home country… a frontier market.

I invest basically all of my savings, and i have raped the S&P the past two years… yah buddy.

I am a personal investor too. Currently, most of my money is in money market accounts. I think value investing / stock picking is the way to go in the next years.

mine are with American Funds as of now…since i work for an advisor i can get them at NAV which definitly beats a sales charge of 5.75%. mixed between international and domestic

The most conservative aggressive investor is here:90% of my equities are in equities.

Lobsterbanker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The most conservative aggressive investor is > here:90% of my equities are in equities. And 60% of the time, it works every time.

And every time it pours?

> sales charge of 5.75% WHAT??

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > sales charge of 5.75% > > WHAT?? Thats the max sales charge for American Funds (depending on the fund…some are lower). Goes down as more money is invested

Currently invested in the Indian as well as US market.

CFAcountry Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ohai Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > sales charge of 5.75% > > > > WHAT?? > > Thats the max sales charge for American Funds > (depending on the fund…some are lower). Goes > down as more money is invested now that is rape. I thought a developed country like US would quit using such fees, it is getting better even in Canada, a lot of advisors now get paid some comission but mostly a trailer fee around 1%. that’s why the investment industry will move to using stocks and etfs plus a AUM fee, I believe - how can you justify such high costs as 5% sales charge?

Stocks and ETF’s incur sales charges as well in the form of transaction costs and premiums which both can exceed 5.75% The sales charge is generally the fee for having an advisor watch over your funds. There are funds that are not necesarily sold through advisors called No-Load funds which do not have an up front charge (examples are Fidelity and Vanguard). American Funds are ones that are only sold through advisors so they charge the sales fee at the fund company. The problem with these charges is that they are applied everytime you switch funds so you really can’t reposition your porfolio to take full advantage of your short term market expectations. So if you can’t rebalance your portfolio I don’t reallly know why you would want an advisor who charges these types of fees. I like American Funds, but I don’t like sales charges!

FinNinja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > The problem with these charges is that they are > applied everytime you switch funds so you really > can’t reposition your porfolio to take full > advantage of your short term market expectations. > So if you can’t rebalance your portfolio I don’t > reallly know why you would want an advisor who > charges these types of fees. > > I like American Funds, but I don’t like sales > charges! This is 100% not the case. If you move monies around within the same fund family, there will be no additional sales charges. The only other way to incur a sales charge is to go from say American Funds to MFS or the like.

Ok… even so, the problem is not that there is a charge to move money within the same fund family. The problem is that there are apparently some funds with a sales charge of almost 6%. Who buys this stuff?

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ok… even so, the problem is not that there is a > charge to move money within the same fund family. > The problem is that there are apparently some > funds with a sales charge of almost 6%. Who buys > this stuff? Well with American Funds, once you reach $1M in assets with them the sales charge is nothing. Once you reach certain breakpoints the sales charge goes down. So it averages out over the long term with these funds. Even with these sales charges, there are many funds that do very well.

CFAcountry Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FinNinja Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > The problem with these charges is that they are > > applied everytime you switch funds so you > really > > can’t reposition your porfolio to take full > > advantage of your short term market > expectations. > > So if you can’t rebalance your portfolio I > don’t > > reallly know why you would want an advisor who > > charges these types of fees. > > > > I like American Funds, but I don’t like sales > > charges! > > > This is 100% not the case. If you move monies > around within the same fund family, there will be > no additional sales charges. The only other way to > incur a sales charge is to go from say American > Funds to MFS or the like. Really? I thought you had to pay a sales charge everytime to encourage people to buy and hold and not jump at every little dip. But hey, what do I know - I don’t pay sales charges either.

I’m actually investing your mom’s money, if you know what I mean.

I’m actually investing your money, only me & your wife know what this mean.

Your mom is also actually investing my own money, if you know what I mean.