Motivation

Sometimes when I lose motivation I check in to the Level 1 board. They are so gung ho about the program, is 9 months enough time, red bull, coffee, CFA will get me into PE, ER, Investment Banking, etc… I remember back and I too was that guy. Now that I am at Level III I feel my motivation is at an all time low (well not really just some days). Intuitively, my motivation should be at an all time high (as I am close to finishing right?). I am motivated to study for the exam, but nothing like it was for Level 1. This was less than two years ago. All I wanted to do was live and breath this stuff. This program wears you down slowly but surely. I like the Level 1 board though - it definitely gives me a lift.

Reminds me how pathetic I was 2 years back. Would agree – motivation is definitely low.

They are so gung ho about the program, is 9 months enough time, red bull, coffee, CFA will get me into PE, ER, Investment Banking, etc… the above is so true and so sad…its like the blind leading the blind when you read some of those responses

Motivation at an all time low… It’s like I got my L2 results and even though I know L3 is hard, my brain is saying “you made it through the hard part…don’t worry.” No fire to spend long hours on weekend. Also, so far, the material has been pretty basic and simple and little calculations, so I feel like I’m reading along saying “yea, yea, i know that…” and w/o math and calcs it’s harder to guage progress and completion of a section.

Don’t stress out . If you 're saying , i know that , you’re getting there. Of course , the only way to know for sure is to do the practice problems , and see if you’re getting them mostly right. Kind of hard to do though with non MC q’s

i can totally relate man - i’ve lost my mojo for sure - looking back, i dont know how the hell i pulled off L2 - worked 50-60 hrs a week, wife was pregnant, and i didnt even start studying til I got my L1 results in Jan. What happened to that guy? he’d CRUSH this test. gotta get back in the groove…

if getting those 3 letters behind your name after you pass this bad boy in June is not enough motivation, then I dont know what is.

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if getting those 3 letters behind your name after > you pass this bad boy in June is not enough > motivation, then I dont know what is. Well, those 3 letters aren’t guaranteed. Some of us haven’t even been working for 4 years, let alone in the allowable occupations.

What you need is a solid dose of hardcore studying. Commit yourselves to spending one SOLID weekend of doing absolutely nothing but cramming for this exam. Set a very difficult goal for what you want to accomplish that weekend and study like it’s late May. I’ve found that the effort you put in builds on itself and helps push you through. The amount of knowledge you’ll gain from a solid weekend of studying will provide additional motivation (like the encouragement you get from getting stronger as you workout). Get a bunch of people in here to commit to that same goal for a kickoff weekend and stick to it while posting occasional updates and questions, etc. We did something like this in 2009 and it worked really well. I would bump the post if I could find it. I think everyone on AF that was studying for the '09 exam built upon that and pushed each other.

Also, as you get closer to the exam you’ll start to realize how close you are to being done with this. At least we now have a decent job market awaiting those who pass… It was a lot harder to remain motivated studying for L3 in January of 2009…

Thinking about this is actually starting to get ME pumped up about this thing… I might have to go crack into the old L3 books.

Feeling pretty fired up knowing that I’m not alone in feeling like my motivation has evaporated!!! The worst is reading a page of the material, getting to the bottom and realising I was actually thing about something else the whole time. Look at previous paragraph and realise I took absolutely zero on board…back to the top of the page… We’ll get there.

^+10

Agree with all the above. The Level 3 material is beyond DRY! Just gotta keep pushing on, the end is near!!! Good luck!

I didn’t have high hopes for this thread, but it exceeded my expecations, just like my work ethic on levels 1 & 2. What happened? I don’t know. Everyone I knew that was taking the exam either failed, or quit. Getting a job used to be my motivation, but after years of trying and no luck my attitude sucks. Very tough to memorize qualitative material. Qualitative is always tougher than quantitative. Logical processes are easy to memorize, lists are not. Peace

Thank god some of y’all feel the same way. My study hours/week have gone wayyyyyyyyy down, but probably because my work hours/week have gone way up. Best thing I can think to do is just try and focus on finishing. It doesn’t have to be a “strong finish” - no need to sprint through the finish line, as it were - but finishing is important. Don’t lose focus - think about the person you were kicking your own @ss through levels one and two. To come this far and not finish would be to let that person down, even if you don’t much feel like them anymore.

bpdulog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > wake2000 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > if getting those 3 letters behind your name > after > > you pass this bad boy in June is not enough > > motivation, then I dont know what is. > > > Well, those 3 letters aren’t guaranteed. Some of > us haven’t even been working for 4 years, let > alone in the allowable occupations. as Master P once eloquently put it, “It aint my fault”