How would you Divide up Schweser/CFAI text

Hi, Everyone I used CFAI texts pretty much exclusively for this test and not sure if I passed. When reviewing I felt like I could have gotten through it more times efficiently using Schweser. For those who feel like they know how to use them to complement one another very well, what exam topics do you think you can get by with just Schweser and which ones are a CFAI must? Also sometimes I find it hard to answer the CFA EOC questions by just reading the appropriate Schweser text. Thoughts?

next time only use Schwesser. when you’re doing practice exams etc if there are things you’re weak on then only consult CFAI text. should be a good mix. thats my plan if i need to retake. I used 50% CFAI and 50% Stalla this time. Next time ill use 100% CFAI and stalla for review

I did CFAI text with schweser last year when I failed. I think the problem was that I spent too much time trying to get through all of the CFAI text that I didn’t leave myself enough time for review and practice exams. This year I went through all of the Stalla notes as quickly as possible, then started doing EOC problems and Blue box examples from the CFAI text. I referred to the CFAI text when something was unclear. I left myself with 4 weeks to do mock/sample/practice exams, and past CFAI AM exams. I felt much better prepared this year than last year. For Ethics, stick to the CFAI text.

This is what i would do if I were to do it again: Ethics-CFAI Behavioral-CFAI IPS-Schweser with EOC and blue box examples Taxes-CFAI, blue box, EOC Equity, economics, PM-Schweser and blue box examples Derivatives(straddle stuff, etc), Fixed Income, and Risk Management-Schweser and blue box examples Last chapter of Derivatives(swaps)-CFAI book, blue boxes Global Performance Evaluation-Schweser and blue boxes GIPS-ignore

programmer’s second attempt is the same as what i have done on all 3 levels. it worked well on 1 and 2, we’ll see on 3. i feel the key for all of the levels is doing as many problems and exams as possible though. thats how i learn the material best. everyone is different though.

I used Schweser for all three levels…I think they cover all topics reasonably well. For L1/L2 I used them pretty much exclusively…for L3 I used it for my “first go” at the material. After that, I went through the CFAI EOC questions and tried the CFAI mocks/samples/old exams. That gave me a very clear answer as to which topics I needed to go back and review. For my “review” of weak areas, I went straight to the original source. I guess I won’t know for 3 months whether that actually worked, but I left the exam feeling like I did fine.

Level III is the first time I did not buy the Schweser Text. I did all of the CFAI EOCS at least 2x most 3x and 90% of the examples. If I had to advise I’d say read schweser, use schweser and do the CFAI EOC’s CFAI is too long winded. I think I underestimated the use of the q-bank on L2, I think I’d also advise the qbank on L3 I just think it drills in small but important topics. I did all of the available CFAI mocks, samples, old exams and schweser mocks. I have no idea how someone could pass without doing the old exams and mocks.

I’ve noticed Schweser from time to time on this Level III board gets knocked around a little and called inadequate. I’ll just add my $0.02: I used Schweser for Level I, Level II, Level II (again), and now Level III. Actually, this time around I intended to use a combo of CFAI and Schweser, but I ended up doing very little reading out of the CFAI curriculum b/c I got only the electronic version and it stunk in terms of legibility. So I looked at most of the EOCs and did the mock and sample exams from CFAI, but other than that it was all Schweser. Lots of quizzes, lots of practice tests. I don’t want to be overconfident that I passed, but I feel pretty decent about my odds. And whether or not I passed, there was exactly 0% of the test that jumped out at me like, “wow, I have no idea what they’re talking about” or “that must not have been in the SchweserNotes” I’m sure that Stalla and the other test prep providers do a fine job as well. You pass this thing by putting in the time to learn it and test yourself, whatever resources you use.

For all three level , i rely on CFAI. CFAI gives a better understanding of the whole picture. in L3, used schweser only for Corporate Finance and some mock.

nazmul… did we both answer a completely different exam? Corp. finance in L3 – not sure where that came up from… (and how did I miss that). I am so toast!

I think he meant Corporate Governance… But since you raised the topic let me mention that I am 100% sure that some questions differ across the world. Last year when I gave level 2, the AM session was horrendously difficult (I literally cried) while the PM was a piece of cake. On the boards people were saying the exact opposite thing. This time also people seem to be discussing questions (at least 1) which I never saw in the exam.

cpk123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nazmul… > > did we both answer a completely different exam? > Corp. finance in L3 – not sure where that came up > from… (and how did I miss that). > > I am so toast! its corporate GOVERNANCE. i think i hate the topic so lot that it dont even come on my typo. and i agree 100% with asif.