"Test" Questions

Just had a discussion with a senior guy at my firm who is a charter holder and knows some people who get involved with writing test questions and grading exams. He said that it is not uncommon for the CFAI to throw a question or two on the exam that they have no intention of actually grading. It is simply put on the test to gauge candidate reaction and to see if the question or topic might be appropriate for future tests. Anyone think the 2011 L3 exam had one or two of those? Obviously this is a very general question and not trying to get into specifics of the exam. I actually thought that everything tested this year was fair for the most part. Curious what others think…

I am sure (highly confident because I went back to text books) that the exam had questions that were out of the syllabus. I found one but there could be more.

You seem to have overconfidence bias, so it may be the case that “u are surprised often time more than you are prepared to be”!!!

However, a full time CFA student like u should be having intimate knowledge about every nooks and corners of the curriculum

I’ve heard that as well, but by restricting our commenting on it (besides directly to CFAI), they’ve limiting the usefulness of this activity. I can think of one question in the PM that I’m certainly hoping is one of those.

sbmarti2…good point.