how many hours devoted?

i studies a bit less than 700 hours .(in LV3) I used to check it w/ timer. excluded any resting time when i don’t sit in chair. So many people say it needs 350 hours to pass LV3. But some says around 500 hour. a little more time to be sure of it. For me it took around 580 hours to pass LV2. So I did this time around 700 hours. I intended 800 hours but in reality I did not do that. insufficient effort. but much more concerntrated than when i did at LV2 and much more time effort. and some more confidence with knowledge. Scheweser 3, 4 times + CFAI text EOCs & example Qs + old real exams of 5 more yrs + mocks & old mocks + surmmarizing (here only missing is CFAI text reading) With the 2011 mocks I was brink of pass or not pass. around 63~ 67 although morning session it’s depend on subjective judgement. (little bit hard to understand though considering the effort that I pulled) But i experienced similar thing when in LV2 & passed I thought this time with much of effort (time devoted) + a bit high possibility I didnt think not pass. After the exam i sometimes saw discussion of exam question answers and checked i might did right answers. And I surprised I did even under band 9. really unbelievable when seeing the pass rate was 51%. its over half. While now I am trying to find out where the weakpoints were (hours devoted, study method or materials, forecasting measurement of scores) I just became curious about the time devoting of other people. with pass or fail.

About 150 hours for L3. 50 hours of Schweser videos + notetaking, 50 hours of making flashcards and more notes, and 50 hours of final review + mocks.

Posted by: ATH (IP Logged) Date: August 17, 2011 12:09AM About 150 hours for L3. 50 hours of Schweser videos + notetaking, 50 hours of making flashcards and more notes, and 50 hours of final review + mocks. ________________________________________________ ^You mean just for the Behavioral Finance readings? This person is funny!

120 hours of Schwesers video (did 3 rounds just to make sure I have enough vocabularies and ideas to BS my way through AM and avoid writer’s block), 40 hours of qbank (a waste), 180 hours of CFAI first pass, maybe another 80 for redoing examples/ EOCs and hitting randomly at CFAI text (memorizing formulas, cramming). Around 420 hours in total I guess.

I don’t know for certain but it had to be in the region of 700 hours if not more. I certainly did at least two hours a day from the time that the I got my hands on the material from the CFAI. Then I went through the Schweser notes and Qbank. The final two months before the exam I was doing more than that so who knows. Given the format, I reckon the exam is too much of a lottery to be indicative of intellect. It’s a test of stamina - or it has been in my case. I’ve done it and would recommend to anyone thinking about doing it to do something else instead. Good luck with the re-take.

I estimate i did 700 hours

350 to 400. How can you study 700 hours in one year? I started studying in October and spent about 10 hours a week, so 8*4*10=320. 700 hours means 20 hours a week, sounds a bit much…

LI: about 180 hours LII: about 235 hours LIII: about 295 hours (clocked every minute)

eric468 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > LI: about 180 hours > LII: about 235 hours > LIII: about 295 hours > (clocked every minute) quite impressive, compliments!

R Cash Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 350 to 400. How can you study 700 hours in one > year? I started studying in October and spent > about 10 hours a week, so 8*4*10=320. 700 hours > means 20 hours a week, sounds a bit much… Concur. Some of the hour counts are amazing assuming that the candidate is still holding down a full time job. I can honestly say that I could only do maybe 8 hours a week for 5 months + 30 hours in the three days prior. So… maybe 200 hours plus or minus?

I assume when people say 700 hours that they include the daydreaming, the getting ready to study, and all the unproductive time that we all inevitably spend but some people exclude from hours counts. I studied about 300 hours, started in January, slow at first (~6 hours a week) and ramped it up to 20-25 hours per week in May. It would take me about 7-8 hours to clock 5 solid study hours on a weekend day due to breaks and distractions and procrastination.

Probably 600-700. 20 hours a week or so since November is a bit much, but that’s what I did nonetheless. I would usually do 10-12 hours on the weekend alone.

So are you guys all passed ? 400 hours is enough time to pass usually? weekday : 4.5 hours (AM 6 to 7, PM 6:30 to 10:30 , some resting time) weekends : 10 hours (AM 8 to PM 9 can have around 10 hours with eating &resting) That way around 47 hours per week w/ 1 day vacation. That make total hours of around 700 in 6 months. First 2 month is not that concentrated. last 2 months is the most concentrated like above example. I actually did this w/ timer. So I found that so many people with around 400 hours have passed then i feel terrible. or something wrong with me.

A gazillion. You just have to make all the time you can.

I always found that no matter how many hours I had put in during the months before, I solidified most of my exam-ready knowledge in that last week before the exam when I put in about 8-10 hours per day. Taking that week off before the test was a great use of PTO and helped me study without burning the midnight lamp. For me, it was all about peaking at the right time.

around 200ish.

For me my study was in three sections: 70 hours or so in terms of video watching and note taking 3 day workshop, so overall I’d say that is an additional 18 hours of real study Then I took off work the last few days before the test, probably 24 hours there. So I’d say somewhere in the 110-125 hour mark for me.

ATH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I always found that no matter how many hours I had > put in during the months before, I solidified most > of my exam-ready knowledge in that last week > before the exam when I put in about 8-10 hours per > day. Taking that week off before the test was a > great use of PTO and helped me study without > burning the midnight lamp. For me, it was all > about peaking at the right time. Yep, same here. The key is efficient high learning studying, not just quantity. Too many people spend hundreds of hours reading whereas very few of those hours are high quality learning periods.

< 250. Started early January; didn’t study on Sundays. Passed.

Passed with about 200 hours.