Started This Weekend!

I may be insane, but I pulled out my notes from last year to start studying again this past weekend. I know, I know, I should take at least 1 weekend before jumping back in - but honestly we’ve had, what, 10 weekends since taking the test. I just don’t want to be in this spot again next year. Man, going over my notes - I knew a good amount of the material still. As soon as I saw subject headers I could rattle off about 90% of the information in my head! I think I really just need to firm a few concepts up with a heavy dose of EOC’s. The topics that I’ll need to firm up I can tell, but I think I’ll only need a little bit of review. at least I’ll have the time to get some of the more difficult concepts down this time. you start to run out of time really quick come May! Just going at it easy right now though, to keep everything fresh.

I cracked open the books this weekend too. First time, and hopefully only time, sitting for Level 3. I would rather be ahead of the game instead of trying to play catch up in the later months.

Mr-Z Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I cracked open the books this weekend too. First > time, and hopefully only time, sitting for Level > 3. I would rather be ahead of the game instead of > trying to play catch up in the later months. +10K. Let’s get it!

starting in 2nd week of September.

All the best guys… I am sure rooting for you FinNinja. You were quite helpful last year, I hope you kill it this time around.

Started this week with CFAI book 1 and some behavioraL stuff, good so far.

Since it will be a while before some of the Schweser materials arrive, I am also reading through the CFAI books. Actually very interesting. Also printed out the practice exam from the CFAI website to try to understand what the issue was with the templates and space to write answers for the AM section. Turns out they only have templates for some of the questions so it is not possible to get a full idea of how the exam looks like.

I wish I could start now, but I have the CAIA in 4 weeks. Starting to regroup on CFA Level III afterwards.

Freaks

do you guys have a life other than studying for tests? no disrespect or anything but taking up hobbies and socializing with others is healthy.

I maintained very full social and family schedule while simultaneously studying for all three levels. Pursuit of the CFA, hobbies, and socializing are not mutually exclusive.

id rather study a little bit over a long period of time rather than cloister myself away for a few months cramming. too bad i always end up taking the latter route, but at least i recognize it as suboptimal.

ATH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I maintained very full social and family schedule > while simultaneously studying for all three > levels. Pursuit of the CFA, hobbies, and > socializing are not mutually exclusive. +10,000 I set a study schedule for myself that currently allocates approximately 15 “quality” hours a week toward studying. I normally wake up early on the weekends and get 3-4 hours on Saturday and Sunday morning (thats 6-8 hours right there, not including the couple of hours after work I study) and have the rest of the day to hang out with friends and family and pursue my hobbies. Not impossible, you just have to stay disciplined. BTW I also train BJJ 3-4x a week and currently learning how to play the guitar as my hobbies. If I didn’t do these two activities, I would go crazy. So don’t think we are all a bunch of nerds just because we like to be ahead of the game.

YoungBuck Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > do you guys have a life other than studying for > tests? no disrespect or anything but taking up > hobbies and socializing with others is healthy. -10K. You mean you are unable to do both simultaneously?

nice work. i’ve been contemplating starting now as well, but don’t want to lose momentum when I get closer to crunch time. may start soon though.

Damil4real Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > YoungBuck Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > do you guys have a life other than studying for > > tests? no disrespect or anything but taking up > > hobbies and socializing with others is healthy. > > > -10K. > > You mean you are unable to do both simultaneously? start now, aint no shame in the game.

ATH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I maintained very full social and family schedule > while simultaneously studying for all three > levels. Pursuit of the CFA, hobbies, and > socializing are not mutually exclusive. Ditto.

FinNinja, what did you get on L3? I’m starting after I take the GMAT mid Sept. Took no break this summer. Oct.-June, approx 15 hrs. per week. Band 10, and still feeling the depression. Mr-Z >> I also play guitar, it’s been sad to see the CFA take over this hobby in particular, but I’m planning on working a little more Randy Rhoads into my life this time around. Funny though, I have intense song writing inspiration after a day of work and about 3 hrs on the books.

You guys are crazy, but I respect the hell out of the early birds. This is my first and hopefully only crack at L3 and I am not starting until January.

Just registered this evening and look forward to receiving the books in the next week or two. I know that feeling of eagerness will soon wear off, but hey, let me enjoy it for a little while longer. Nice to know I’m officially a L3 candidate.