work experience advice...

Hi, this feels embarrassing, but I’m looking for constructive/helpful advice about improving upon my work experience description. The description below is for my current position (over 5 years) and was allotted 0 credit. I’m in the wealth management field, so if there is anyone in a similar field who successfully articulated their work experience I’d really appreciate your advice. Thanks.

• I am responsible for providing investment advisory services for high net worth clients and prospects on a referral basis. This includes:

• Interviewing clients and prospects to evaluate their investment objectives and constraints with respect to their investment portfolios.

• Quantitative and qualitative analyses of existing securities portfolios in the preparation of detailed written reports providing both asset allocation and individual securities recommendations.

• Designing and recommending individual securities portfolios (comprised of publicly traded Canadian and US equities, Government and Corporate debentures) for clients.

• Utilizing spreadsheet modeling (with Excel) and other software tools (including Bloomberg and Croesus) to complete my work.

• Undertaking individual securities research (for Canadian and US publicly traded equities and Government and Corporate debentures)

• I deliver Compliance, Investment Strategy and Investment Product (regarding various in-house and competitor products, including: publicly traded and privately placed securities, mutual funds, hedge funds, real estate vehicles) training to over 100 Financial Consultants throughout Alberta.

• I was selected by Head Office to research, prepare and deliver a presentation on Exchange Traded Funds at conferences held in Portland and Montreal.

Couple of points are dead on. Should be no problem

Long Journey,

your Work Exp should get credit and i’m surprised to hear that it got rejected. I would suggest using action words that highlight your job towards better investment decision making.

Something like: “Advise, recommend and monitor suitable investments for clients” as a replacement for your first point above. (This sentence is taken straight from my CFAI application and was approved for all 65 months that I submitted).

Also fro your point where you talk about research, you can say: research publicly traded companies, REITS, Debs, etc. analyse fair value and execute buy/hold/sell decisions for clients.

Also, under “Job Category” select the option for Private Wealth Management (I think it’s there). Hope this helps. Compose your sentences that show your tasks are directly related to investment decisions. Good luck!

Try and be more explicit in using CFA language, for example in the first bullet use the phrase Investment Policy Statement rather than just investment objectives, and perhaps talking about identifying behavioural biases.

Then do the same with the rest…

I work in Wealth Management as well. An approved description I used for one of my past positions:

I manage and construct portfolios for a book of high net worth client relationships by assessing client risk tolerance, current financial position, goals and the creation of an investment policy statement to aid in the investment decision making process.

I regularly rebalance and reallocate high net worth client portfolios in response to life events and capital market expectations.

I help to create Monte Carlo analysis reports and cash flow analysis to assess the likelihood of client retirement portfolios lasting through their lifetimes. These reports are leveraged to aid investment decisions to increase the probability of higher funding and/or the reduction of portfolio risk as measured by standard deviation.

I create financial plans for high net worth clients focused on several key wealth management issues, including: asset allocation with response to long-term and short-term changes in capital market expectations, income distribution planning, and incapacity and estate planning.

Regularly assess the performance of client investments and determine what investments to increase, decrease or introduce to the portfolio in order to position the portfolio to meet clients’ short-term and long-term goals.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. LJ