Written Component - Spelling/Grammar/Legibility

First time L3 writer… For those of you who previous wrote L3, how physically (and/or mentally) taxing did you find the morning, hand written section? I passed L1 and L2 first attempt without any issues but I’m concerned about L3 because of the hand writing factor. My hand writing and spelling resembles something you would expect from an elementary school student. It’s always been awful and I believe my under-grad essay question exam marks suffered greatly because of it. Does anyone have any info on how the CFA grades the written components, specifically with regards to the spelling/grammar and legibility? If the option to type your answers was available I would have no concerns. My question is regarding the quality of the writing itselfs, rather then the specific content. Cheers!

I was in the same boat as you a year ago. Level III is as much about practicing for the actual format of the exam as it is about knowing the material. Throughout my studying, taking notes and practice exams I was conscious about my handwriting. I tried to write in print and legibly. My handwriting was so bad that I could actually see a grader giving up on trying to read what I wrote. I used to write in cursive. Now after studying for level III, I write almost always in print. They really should stop teaching kids to write in cursive as it has been a crutch of mine.

I’m assuming you got through ok?

Yeah, I passed. It did suck having to focus on something so elementary as handwriting, but even though they say handwriting and writing style does not matter, it is almost common sense that it does. Think about if you were a grader and were struggling to read every other word of an answer. That would get frustrating.

Did you answer in point form or full paragraphs? Also, do you have the option to write in pen or pencil? I think my writing is a bit more legible in pencil.

Apparently hand writing doesn’t affect your marks - that is, if you’ve got the right answer you’ll get the points no matter how ugly it is. There is a story on the CFAI website about some guy that broke his writting hand the week before the L3 exam and had to write the exam with his gimp hand. I think focusing on: a) knowing the content, b) answering in the CFA style (i.e. structure and buzz words) and c) good time management is the way to go.

good luck!

Can we write everything in capital letter? I think capital letter is more readable.

Anything goes. And if you read CFAI guidelines for L3, you find somewhere there that handwritting, grammar, and related issues do not impact your score. and that only in very rare cases handwritting is so poor graders cannot read it.

Write in bullet point form only. Do your best to avoid writing in full sentences. The CFA couldn’t care less about your writing style. They just want the right answer. When you find yourself writing in long sentences, remember (GTTFP) GET TO THE F*$#%& POINT.

^ this. And - RTFQ! then ATFQ! (Read the … question, answer the … question)

My hand writting is terrible and my spelling / grammar is bad.

As long as the markers can read it, you will get the points.

This main thing s you ATFQ and GTTFP.

Do heaps of practice exams and you’ll work out what needs to be done.

I know plenty of people smarter than me that failed because they didn’t do enough practice exams and got hit by the time component of the exam. Like I said, you have to have a strategy to beat the exam. It is like any sport, you gotta train for game day and know your opponent.

Thanks guys, really helps!

Here’s some more food for thought:

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-iii-forum/91314266

and don’t worry about your handwriting - the graders are used to a scrawl that looks like a dying man’s last words (which pretty much sums up how I felt at the time but I passed in the end).