Schweser vs. CFA Institute Books

For those who read both, just wondering if Schweser notes cover most of the material and if the concepts are explained well enough.

Also, please advise what specific sections you think are a must read from the original books if any.

Thanks!

Check this out - My post:

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-iii-forum/91314635

Heavily discussed…use the search function

IMO, at least you should use CFAI books Vol 1, 2, and 6…although if you have the time you are way better off by reading only CFAI.

i am in the same boat as you. i have read countless posts on this issue. i have concluded that there is no general consensus on this issue. some swear by schweser and say that cfai is too inefficient. some say that cfai is absloute must and schweser is rubbish.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between and there are advantages and disadvantages of both. an optimal solution may be to use cfai on readings and study sessions where schweser is poor and use schweser for rest. now which those readings and study sessions are, i do not know. someone else may have to answer that question. in any case doing cfai eoc and blue box question is well advised by all. also doing cfai mock, sample and past exams as well as schweser practice exams.

India agrees with Pakistan, for once!

There is no absolute truth here because plenty of smart people will pass the test only using schweser. In fact they will also tell you that spending anytime on the small details is a waste of time. They will focus on the broad strokes and getting those right. On test day they will perform well and pass. The girl I’m dating did just this. Ignored whole sections she deemed unnecessary and unlikely to be covered. Never even opened the CFAI box.

If you are one of those people then greatl. But unless you can really count on superior test taking skills you might want to take whatever source of questions you can get, the CFAI books being the finest.hopefully you have the time for both.