CleverCFA

Oban, Macallan, Tormore, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich, Aberlour, Ardbeg, Talisker.

Never, never, never Glenfiddich!

you left out some pretty good Japanese brands

They’ve some good single malt whiskies, but they’re not _ Scotch _ (which has to come from Scotland).

I used to work with an engineer at Mitsubishi Nuclear Energy Systems (MNES) in Charlotte, NC whose name was Yamazaki-san. When MNES sent him back to Kobe, I organized a going-away party for him, and we bought him a bottle of Yamazaki 18-year-old single-malt whisky. I’ve tried the 12-year-old and enjoyed it; I can imagine that the 18-year-old is far better.

My surname is Campbell; I (as of about three years ago) like Scotch. (But not, as you’ve deduced, Glenfiddich.)

you forgot Bowmore, best whisky around

I shall have to give it a try.

Few things in life are better than Macallan 18.

Macallan 25 qualifies.

I’d assume that Macallan 50 would qualify as well. I cannot testify first-hand, however; alas.

I’m a Macallan man myself. Oldest I’ve had is the 30. Haven’t quite had the urge to buy a bottle yet (cheapest around me is $1100), but I had a glass at the Borgata in AC for $150. -Side note: Borgata has (or had at the time) the largest Macallan collection outside Scotland. They had multiple pours above $2000 a glass. Doubt I’d ever have the stones to do it.

My brother-in-law swears by Auchentoshan, he gave me a bottle but I haven’t cracket it yet.

I should have qualified my statement. Few things in life that are legal and within the confines of a healthy marriage are better than Macallan 18. Macallan 25 is definitely one of them.

Macallan 25: $769.99.

Macallan 50: £30,000

If I pass I will get Magician a bottle

OK, I have Andy down for one bottle of Macallan 50.

How is the Suntory line?

Suntory owns Yamazaki, Hakushu, and Hibiki.

I’ve had Yamazaki 12-year and enjoyed it. I’ll happily give you my opinion on the 18-year and the 25-year; send me a bottle of each and I’ll get back to you.

I’ve never had Hakushu, so you’ll need to send me a bottle each of the 12-year, 18-year, and 25-year.

I’ve also never had Hibiki (which is blended; Yamazaki and Hakushu are each single-malt): I’ll make room for you to send me bottles of the 12-year, 17-year, 21-year, and 30-year.

auchentoshan is nice. I prefer Oban, talisker, ardbeg or laphroiag myself. Regardless, lots of good scotches.

Lagavulin is nice too. For newbies a good mild one would be Dalwhinnie 15 …

On US521 just South of Charlotte, NC, about ¼ mile South of the NC/SC border is a liquor store that every month or so has a whisky (or whiskey) tasting. It was there that I first encountered Aberlour A’bunadh, a fabulous, cask-strength (~120 proof) single-malt. I got a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 there as well. It’s a nice, smooth single-malt, but I’m partial to peatier Scotches (hence: Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich, Talisker).

Since we’re on the topic of giving thanks, I would very much like to send you a Thank You card S2000 for all the help you provided to the L2 candidates this year… alternatively i can make a small donation to a charity of your choice :slight_smile: I need to keep the karma train flowing!

Damn magician you know your whiskeys. Other than my fortunate blue label experiences I’m strictly a makers and Jamison connoisseur. Looks like I need to broaden my horizons, or my wallet

I am completely addicted to Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Wonderfully mellow, but still retaining the distinctive peaty/smoky flavour of Laphroaig. I actually have some in my desk. Probably pretty close to violating one of the Standards.