L3 2014: Before Schweser books arrive...

I received my CFAI Curriculum books. There are no blueboxes, only blackboxes now. Anyways, is there any particular ‘order’ to begin reading the Curriculum books?

What would you suggest to start with until Schweser arrives late October?

I started with Vol. 4 (FI and Equity), but given the weights, would it be more appropriate to start with Vol. 2 '(Behavioural Finance, Individuals, Institutional)?

Or any other suggestion to which volume to crack open first?

Thanks!

Same here. I am not sure where to begin but I guess we have some time to figure it out. I envision I’ll start soon with the second book and actually read through CFAI texts and do all the questions.

crack open some beers son. sit your ass down. relax. enjoy the next couple of months. start when schweser comes.

i would not start so early but as for the order, i always go by the order given.

i think some topics kinda build on top of each other so i like to go in sequence.

:slight_smile:

i think the study order should be different for each individual

if this is your first try, then just go by the order given, if not then start with the topics that you have trouble with

As a “senior Level 3 taker” (passed after 2nd attempt), my advice:

Get the Schweser Notes and the Lectures. Do not use CFA curriculum a lot, use it if you don’t understand the concepts explained in the Notes and Lectures. My first attempt strategy was wrong, which is why I’m gonna write the second attempt strategy (you can still find my whole strategy under other headings):

I used only video lectures (but you should also use notes as first time taker because I had already finished the CFA curriculum twice in my first attempt). Definitely get the Qbank and solve questions after each reading. Do not just solve it to test yourself. Solve it in order to understand the concepts, it really works,.

Use this strategy until mid-April and May. Then continue with only Practice exams. Test yourself and then thoroughly study each practice exam. It’s much more useful than studying the notes or the books.

Practice essay A LOT!!! Do not underestimate practicing the essay section because you will always be short of time, that’s for sure. Concentrate on portfolio management type questions, carefully study the Scheser guideline answers and the CFA previous year exam guideline answers. It will seemd easy and you might fall into trap that you can easily handle it. It doesn’t work that way. YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT ESSAY QUESTIONS A LOT!

Wish you good luck, guys. Study enough so that you won’t have to ask advice for the second attempt. I didn’t take anybody’s advice for the second attempt. I just changed my decision based on my personal experience.

I disagree with ^^. Use the CFAI books and know the blue box questions cold. I used schweser and failed - used CFAI material and it was more/less easy. Remember, they test the CFAI material, not schweser. Why not use the source? Schweser is good for review, but that’s about it. For L3, Schweser sucks.

Im with bizval - CFA material helps you build the mental stamina required on test day. Also something i noticed with L3 is that you MUST kill the afternoon session to have any sort of hope. So take your L2 method and reapply it here and then practice the hell out of the essays, you’ll be fine. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE AFTERNOON SESSION this will save your arse

Before Schweser books arrive… you should do a little dance!