CFA Level 3 Preparation

Is it possible to pass the CFA level 3 exam using the CFAI curriculum only??

I passed level 1 from first attempt using Schweser alone and level 2 from first attempt using Elan Guides alone. But this time I feel like using the CFAI curriculum alone. Is that a good idea?

Thank you!

I only decided to do that because the CFAI notes look as thick as Elan guides level 2 material so it doesn’t seem that long.

I think it is possible. I used only CFAI for L1 and L2 and I inted to do the same for L3.

Start soon if you are concerned.

Im thinking about starting Dec 1st. I studied for 2 months for level 1 and 4 month for level 2 so I think 6 months for level 3 would be enough. Ill try to put in 600+ hours in a span of 6 months.

Level I - only used Schweser Notes, Schweser mocks, Schweser Secret Sauce, Schweser QBank, and a CFAI mock. Didn’t know CFAI had their own curriculum until a few days before the exam so by then it was too late to read all of that.

Level II - primarily used Schweser Notes, Schweser mocks, Schweser Secret Sauce, Schweser QBank, a bunch of CFAI mocks, and the CFAI curriculum whenever I needed to drill I’m deeper to the material that Schweser was too short on.

Level III - planning on reading all the CFAI curriculum and using Schweser Notes, Schweser mocks, Schweser QBank, and Schweser Secret Sauce as needed. I think I might get the Elan 11th Hour Guide as that seems to be helpful. Planning on cranking through the curriculum from CFAI by February/March 2015 and then focusing on CFAI mocks and revisiting any topics that I don’t remember well enough.

From postings on this forum it seems like CFAI curriculum is the best route to go as a primary study tool for the exam. I’d be interested in hearing any other thoughts as to additional materials that candidates found helpful :slight_smile:

For L2 I started in Feb sometime…will probably start in Dec for L3 as I have FRM P1 in Nov.

Will read thru the material hopefully by end of february and have typed up all notes and formulas by then.

Typing notes usually entails reading the text over again, or at least half to three-quarters.

Then I’ll crush mocks and EOC’s for months.

First two levels I read through the CFAI text completely with no questions. Did EOCs the two weeks before and Mocks the 2 days before. I think it was a bad idea to leave questions that late…somehow it worked.

if you have a fair idea of what material is likely to appear on the exam, go for it.

I suggest using notes for studying and CFAI curriculum for EOC’s practice(all of them)

dont mater what you do, last month (may) should be all practice exams and review

I plan on using the CFAI texts as the primary material. I’ll refer to the Schweser Notes for areas that I have trouble understanding in the texts. Will use The Schwesr Qbank and mocks closer to the exam

dwheaton,

I am on similar lines as you are. Will be taking my FRM Part II Nov. and then look into L3 from December 01st week.

I would refer to CFAI and Schwesers, hope they work.

wow…people do otherwise

Im thinking of getting my hands on some videos and using Schweser but doing the questions fromt he CFAI texts.

Also use these awesome notes I found online. #Marc.is.the.MAN https://sites.google.com/site/cfalevel3examprep/home