Pass or Fail... Shocked at AM results

I failed Band 9. A buddy of mine passed. We are both very surprised at our AM marks. There were sections I was POSITIVE I nailed, and ended up <50 or 51-70. He had the same - it was laughable actually thinking about it (in between my emotional breakdowns).

Anyone else feel this or have similar experience, regardless of a pass or fail?

I thought I nailed the am part and particularly questions 1 to 5 but ended up with <50 in questions 2,3,4,7,10 and 51-70% in questions 1 and 5. I passed, but I’m very surprised of my result. I will definitely look the answers once they are released.

I passed too but very surprised at my AM results… I have done very bad in the AM though I thought I did better in the AM than PM. Same happened last yr when I had failed band 8… Don’t know what they expect in AM

i was Shocked at AM results. shocked. i felt that i got the answer perfectly except the one that i left blank. i think they were picky with handwriting.

AM - I did poor in the first five questions and then nailed the rest. I am not sure if it may be that I started writting in bullet points midway during the test when I saw time management was an issue.

I do feel that there is some subjective grading in AM. I also feel that graders may get frustrated when looking for an answer in a well written paragraph while just putting simple bullet points.

Not really, if you can convey your ideas with the right words, you will get the marks. Just scribbling some key words that dont make any logical sense should not get you marks

I wrote in paragraph format and handwriting (and I have pretty nasty writing) for the entire thing except the last 3 questions as time was running out and all sections were above 70% as expected and 2 50-70% as I know I got those questions wrong as I didn’t know

wow how did you do in PM session? your AM session sucks lol

I thought I nailed the PM and did rubbish in the AM. I was having hope that my PM can pull my overall performance to a pass. The truth is… AM was enough to secure a pass and PM was a joke… That is just illogical for someone who has been through L1 and L2… you’d expect they fail more likely due to poor AM performance…

I also thought I took AM Q1 & Q2 to the cleaners but both < 50%… So very surprised at that…I think it does highlight how important the PM section is in pulling one over the line…

^ agree I messed up the AM though I thought I did better in AM , PM pulled me up

My first half of the am was also not good - scored probably over 70 % in the pm, when I look on my results - MPS probably around 65 %

I was also very surprised at my AM section with the first 5Qs in the lowest range when I actually thought I nailed them

I was so shocked with my AM result, I tought I nailed the morning part. I am still thinking, I might put the answers in the wrong spot…

I definitely felt I had done very well on the first 5 questions. Very surprised that I got 3 of these below 50. I don’t mind that if I failed. Just wish I could see my exam to learn from my mistakes or at least get a better understanding of what they’re looking for. This whole thing just feels like shooting in the dark.

Working the numbers for those who posted their recent scores, I calculated this year’s MPS as ~62.5% with each band ~225bps.

I was surprised with <50 for Q 1, 3, 5, I was expecting 51-70%. But PM session definitely pulled me through the finish line.

I still did better in AM compared than last year (was band 10).

Essay

Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 20 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 19 - - * 3 Equity Investments 17 * - - 4 Economics 15 - - * 5 Portfolio Management - Institutional 16 * - - 6 Portfolio Management - Institutional 16 - - * 7 Fixed Income Investments 11 * - - 8 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 15 - - * 9 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 15 - * - 10 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 19 * - - 11 Portfolio Management - Individual 17 - - *

Agree, I thought I literally killed AM. But 6 questions are between 50-70 and only 4 > 70 and one < 50 as well.

PM was digital types for me, either I killed it or I got killed. As expected - 5 sections >=70 and 3 sections <= 50. Nothing between 50-70.

Thankfully FI, Ethics, Equity & Risk management were all > 70. So I finally came out with a pass.

[/quote]

Working the numbers for those who posted their recent scores, I calculated this year’s MPS as ~62.5% with each band ~225bps.

[/quote]

May I know how you calculate it? Cheers.

Ah…I’m still shocked on 225bps band analysis, which means less than two 3 mins questions for one band…can’t sleep…

Based upon the score matrices posted by AFers – paying particular attention to Band 8/9/10ers relative to those who just barely seemed to pass – I calculated each band to be about 9-10 points apart. That’s equal to 3 MC questions or a couple of simple AM questions – or roughly 2.5%. The difference between failing and just squeaking by is that close.

Get back to studying.